Author Topic: Garage Ventilation  (Read 2167 times)

Baummt22

Garage Ventilation
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
Just received my new Smokin-it Model #1 in the mail, opened and seasoned it right away. Its ready for its first smoke but before i do that i would like to secure a good location for the smoker during the winter months since i have an uncovered patio and don't like to freeze. My Idea would be to run the smoker in the garage with a pipe going straight up through the roof and a hot water heater exhaust two feet above the roof to meet code. Has anyone ever done this? Is it safe? Will condensation fall back down when the smoke cools? Does residue build up in it really fast? do i need to pull the smoke out with a inline fan? Thanks for your Input as im new to smoking

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Garage Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
Is your garage attached or detached? Many people just open the garage door, and roll the smoker toward that end of the garage.

Here are a couple posts. Not sure how successful they were. Condensation might be an issue to consider. Neither one addresses going through the roof, but might be helpful in general. You can also try personal messaging these folks to see how successful they were long-term.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1257
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4496.0
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:59:02 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Baummt22

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
I have an attached garage with one window that is right next to my front door, which is why i would like to stay away from venting there. My garage is also built from brick along with the house so the roof or soffet is really the only option to vent from.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
I have a buddy that set it up like you are considering. It has worked well for him.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Baummt22

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
Do you have any pictures of what your friend did?

Walt

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:02:35 AM »
I don't. He's a ship Captain & is currently @ sea. Sorry.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »
In my head I'm having a problem seeing it draft correctly but maybe in a worse case scenario a low cfm computer fan would help move enough air without sucking all the smoke out of the smoker. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah