Author Topic: Boneless Butt Roasts  (Read 1645 times)

Chuckles

Boneless Butt Roasts
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Have a Labor Day event and went to Aldi's to buy some butts which were on sale for $1.59 per pound.  Got a couple of 9 pounders and did not notice until I got home that they were boneless roasts.  Was a little short on time, so I injected with an apple juice mixture (juice and garlic powder) and let set for 2-3 hours.  Then applied an cinnamon-brown sugar rub and let them stand for 30 minutes.  Put them in my Model 2 which has been converted to digital and set at 240 degrees with a 190 target temperature.  They took about 12 hours to reach the temp.  I pulled them out and double wrapped in foil and let them set for a couple of hours in the oven (no heat).  Just got them out of the oven and they practically pulled themselves.  The meat was tender and juicy and very easy to shred with my plastic shredders.  I normally buy the bone-in roasts, but was very pleased with the way these turned out.  Since the bone was gone I used some silicon strings to hold the roasts in a little tighter.  I guess from now on I will be comfortable with either bone-in or boneless butts.  Butts are very forgiving, but these did turn out great.

Grampy

Re: Boneless Butt Roasts
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
Chuckles, you "accidentally" proved a theory that I have been preaching forever. A Boston butt is a Boston regardless if it is bone in or bone out. Many people way over think it and needlessly worry over a boneless or bone in butt. Both taste the same and both will come out amazing. I think one key thing you did was that you did tie it up to help keep its mass and shape as though the bone was still in. Good job!   
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
 If there is anything better than a smoked butt that pulls easily and tastes great it is two butts done well.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »
+1 to Grampy. We hear it's always better to cook meat on the bone. And it's true...for practically everything. But one cut of meat where it doesn't make as much difference, its pork butt. There is so much intramuscular fat and connective tissue, even with the bone removed, it will cook up moist. Similar "cheap" cuts of pork and beef are also less reliant on the bone. I think you figured out the key to boneless butt. Tie it up. With the bone in, it keeps a more compact shape, with less surface area to lose moisture. Once you take out the bone, it creates an irregular shape, and reveals more surface. If you tie it, you reverse that.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide