Author Topic: Selecting my first smoker  (Read 4498 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Selecting my first smoker
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
I was worrying if this is really worth the extra money over a masterbuilt or cajun cooker (the electric smokers an uncle of mine swears by but who will soon be outdone!)

Are you sure your uncle "swears by" and doesn't just swear? ;D ;D I've seen plenty of posts online by frustrated Masterbuilt owners with elements burning out in less than a year, and not having user-replaceable parts. And the build quality of the SI (ALL stainless steel, etc.) is night and day. Your uncle will be jealous! Even when you compare features side-by-side to Smokin-Tex or Cookshack, the quality is much better, and at a lower price.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:21:40 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
Ha believe me he definitely does both!  He has the Cajun Injector model and makes some pretty good food on it and has never said anything about replacing the element even after years of owning it.  I've seen A LOT of reviews where that was an issue though so decided it wasn't worth the risk.  I totally agree on the quality of the SI!  I have never personally seen the other two brands except in online reviews but I just don't see how they could be any better then the SI!  I haven't even started using it and I'm in love!

SconnieQ I see you are from Wisconsin...are we allowed to talk to each other with the NFL season starting today?!
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

SconnieQ

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
SconnieQ I see you are from Wisconsin...are we allowed to talk to each other with the NFL season starting today?!

I am required by law to dislike all Vikings fans.  ;D ;D ;D

If there is anything I understand, it is passion for your team. And I respect that. The Bears and Pack, so much history there. My two favorite teams. But you are required at birth to hate the Bears due to loyalty. Not really true. ;D Lots of hard feelings with the Vikes though because of the Brett thing, but I don't share that. Brett loves to play, and however that ended up, is fine with me. There are other things with the Vikings in recent history that tarnishes their image, but you can find that with many teams. I feel sorry for Vikings fans, with so many seasons starting out so promising, then fizzling out half-way through. All football fans are good with me. Vikings, Seattle, Dallas, I will always support the Pack though...but with a good attitude! We sucked for so many years, and I don't think we've forgotten that. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:06:24 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

t-motheviking

• Did you turn it off and back on?
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
Haha trust me it's mutual.  I will say though there was never a wilder weekend then when the gophers played the badgers in anything.  Yeah our time will come again!  What's really painful is when ESPN says EVERY week that if we had a better offensive line we would be a 10 win team easy.  We've tried everything and we just can't get a good O Line anymore and it sucks!  I will admit being faithful to them after so many disappointing years is hard to do but dang it blow the horn one more time and we will all still yell SKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!  At least now I will get to cry on ribs as opposed to frozen pizza!  ;D
T-Mo from Morris, MN (West Central MN)
AKA The Bear, Big Mo, Big Fuzz, The Viking
Smokin-It Model 3D
Cast Iron Lodge Sportsman Grill
Are electric smokers the mobile home of smokehouses?

SconnieQ

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »
Haha trust me it's mutual.  I will say though there was never a wilder weekend then when the gophers played the badgers in anything.  Yeah our time will come again!  What's really painful is when ESPN says EVERY week that if we had a better offensive line we would be a 10 win team easy.  We've tried everything and we just can't get a good O Line anymore and it sucks!  I will admit being faithful to them after so many disappointing years is hard to do but dang it blow the horn one more time and we will all still yell SKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!  At least now I will get to cry on ribs as opposed to frozen pizza!  ;D

You look at any team with success, including the Pack, and you will find that their success came with the arrival of a good GM/coach combo. The good players came after that. Good managers know how to recognize talent (that others don't), and find them young. Maybe Minnesota needs some changes at the top?
Anova WiFi Sous Vide