Author Topic: Moink Maddness  (Read 2908 times)

Jimeo

Moink Maddness
« on: August 25, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »
Had a buddy send me this link and decided to try a small batch of moinks, they turned out really well!

Followed this Jeff Phillips recipe...
http://www.smoking-meat.com/august-24-2017-bacon-wrapped-meatballs-moink-balls

Started with twelve store bought fresh Italian meatballs, not frozen, approximately 2.5 oz each.  Wrapped each in a half slice of bacon and a good coating of John Henry's pecan rub. 

Used 2.0 oz of pecan at 240 degrees for two hours.  At 1.5 hours glazed with Baby Rays honey BBQ thinned out with some beer and finished.

Pretty yummy but made one heck of a mess in the smoker...haha ;D

Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

JustChillin

Re: Moink Maddness
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 07:03:42 AM »
Jim, those look great. I am going to give them a try for my first tailgate this year. Thanks for sharing.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Jimeo

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
I got the fresh meatballs in the meat department at my local Publix grocery store, they were a bit over seasoned for my taste.  Think I'll try the frozen pre-made next time, that seems to be what most recipes call for.  Sorry for the sideways pictures, do all this on my phone, not sure why they get rotated???
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
Jim, buy a pound of hamburger and a 1 pound tube of Jimmy Dean sausage.  Mix it like you are making a meat loaf and make your own meat balls.  They are way better than any store bought meat balls. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah