Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 3258 times)

ibbones

Hurricane Harvey
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
Howdy from Storm Central.  Hurricane Harvey is supposed to sit on top of our house so what do we do?  Cannot evacuate because my wife works at the hospital and all first responders have to be here, so, I have a large slab of Pork Spare Ribs 3 hours in the smoke and just pulled off a bunch of beef Fajitas resting on a plate.  Also put on a big can or Pork-N-beans doctored up a bit.  We will be without power sometime but we can still eat.
Wind is blowing but not supposed to get the "bad" stuff until about 7:00 pm tonight and around 1:00 am the storm is here.  Rain is coming down almost sideways at times.  What was that about water and electricity? ::)
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

JustChillin

Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
Be safe, Michael. Smoke plenty of food early just in case you lose power.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

stout

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 06:19:05 PM »
dvr is full for when we lose satellite reception

getting the camp stove ready in case we lose power.

neighbor has a large booze collection in case things get boring

Walt

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
Sure hope you guys stayed safe. I was hit particularly hard from Katrina, from a property damage standpoint. It took many years to recover from the damage and mentally still has an effect on many people I know (sort of a PTSD during hurricane season). Learned quick that the only important thing was the health & safety of the family. We were lucky, in that respect.  You are in our thoughts & prayers. I sure hope y'all made out ok.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »
Praying daily for the victims.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

stout

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »
we're good here.. i expect at the very least for it to stay wet all week but the bulk of the storm turned away from us ... however houston is getting a ton of rain and the coast got hit hard of course. there will probably be a lot of people needing a lot of help

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
I'm glad you're well. My heart goes out to all whose homes have been destroyed.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

ibbones

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
Power back on now.  A week in the dark and living out of a cooler.  Lost everything in the freezer but I'll get over it.  Family is all safe so it's all good.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Walt

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
I am glad you got through that safely. The gutting & cleaning in 98 degree temps with 98 to 100% humidity was a real beast for us after Katrina. Ice was scarce & a/c nonexistent. Once those two things were resolved, a few weeks after, the cleanup / repairs became tolerable if not mind numbing. The stench of the wet molding debris & rotting meat in all the refrigerators hauled out to the street throughout the city left a stench that is hard to forget. I empathize with what you are going through & hope its an easier path for y'all. Y'all remain in our thoughts & prayers. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

stout

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »
sorry about the freezer.. but great on everyone coming through well

in our area really the only thing even remotely like a hardship we have had is finding places not out of gas
which as problems go is really small potatoes

offered to take in some friends from effected areas but they have stayed put and done alright

proud of how texas has handled this gut punch

ibbones

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
Walt, we have that same smell here.  Most things are wet and lots of dead birds, mice, and other field critters here.  The city was really good about setting up some temporary garbage collections where you toss your household garbage in a bag and bring it to a pickup station and the guys will grab it right out of your trunk and toss in into a collection truck.  That helped out bunches.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Gene

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »
Glad you and yours made it through safely.  I can't imagine what it must be like without power for a week.  You Texans are a tough bunch.
Model 1
Central Illinois