Author Topic: Baby Backs vs. St. Louis Style Ribs  (Read 5883 times)

CUTiger80

Baby Backs vs. St. Louis Style Ribs
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
Guys, it's been a while since I've posted anything, but I promise I still love you.
Mostly I've been smoking the same ole stuff on my SI2 and enjoying it because of all the help that you guys have provided over the years.
For ribs, I had pretty much settled on baby backs as my preference, but the past couple of times I've been disappointed. The flavor was not great and they just seemed a little too meaty. (Just curious, do you guys trim the thick meat chunk off of one end of the rib rack to make the thickness of the entire rack a little more consistent?)
Today I'm going to try and go back to the St. Louis style spare ribs, which I never really got right before switching to the baby backs. This was before I decided to trust you guys that believe in the no-peak method, which I have now adopted because of the ease and superior bark. Last night I prepped them, applied the rub, covered them and let them get happy in the fridge.
I did a scan this morning and it seems that smoking them at 225 for 7 hours or so is the way to go to start with.
Any other tried and true tips before I get started smoking?
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Baby Backs vs. St. Louis Style Ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »
On the baby backs, I just put all the thick ends facing the back in my model 4.  In my small smoker, I cut the racks in half with the thicker ends facing the front and back and the thin tapers overlapping each other a bit. 

Be careful of over cooking the St. Louis.  Start testing at 5 1/2 or 6 hours. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

CUTiger80

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »
I smoked at 225 and used the toothpick test at 6 hours. They seemed a little tough still so I left them in for another hour. The flavor was good, but the seemed to be over cooked somewhat. Next time I'll take a half rack out at 6 hours and taste before cooking longer.
Ravel

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
I don't know if St Louis ribs can be overcooked at 225 at 7 hours in my opinion... unless they are unusually lean, and that seems rare. Just make sure that you are not equating toughness, and undercooking... with overcooking. What seems tough and dry, might actually mean undercooked, because St Louis cut has lots of cartilage, connective tissue, and collagen, (much more than baby backs), which needs a lot more time to convert to the succulent gelatin that we all equate with moisture and tenderness. It might be advantageous to foil wrap St Louis ribs at the 4 or 5 hour mark of you want a really moist and fall-apart rib.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:24:42 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Grampy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »
I smoked at 225 and used the toothpick test at 6 hours. They seemed a little tough still so I left them in for another hour. The flavor was good, but the seemed to be over cooked somewhat. Next time I'll take a half rack out at 6 hours and taste before cooking longer.

When I do St. Louis style ribs I always do the 3-2-1 method. I know a lot of people say its not necessary to wrap with the SI smokers blah, blah, blah. I receive consistent results using this method and I think it is worth it for you to try it and see what you think yourself. I would start with the 3-2-1 method as a suggestion and modify the timing to suit your taste. I actually use a 2.5 hour unwrapped, 2.5 hour wrapped and 30 minutes to an hour unwrapped method.   
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

CUTiger80

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
When I do St. Louis style ribs I always do the 3-2-1 method. I know a lot of people say its not necessary to wrap with the SI smokers blah, blah, blah. I receive consistent results using this method and I think it is worth it for you to try it and see what you think yourself. I would start with the 3-2-1 method as a suggestion and modify the timing to suit your taste. I actually use a 2.5 hour unwrapped, 2.5 hour wrapped and 30 minutes to an hour unwrapped method.   

Thanks.  I used to use the 3-2-1 method but switched to the no-peek method when I started doing baby backs and I was trying to simplify.  I will give it another try because I think that we like the St. Louis style a little better.  Do you add anything to the ribs when you wrap them?  I used to add a little apple juice, some rub and a little butter.
Ravel

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:03:12 AM »
"Thanks.  I used to use the 3-2-1 method but switched to the no-peek method when I started doing baby backs and I was trying to simplify.  I will give it another try because I think that we like the St. Louis style a little better.  Do you add anything to the ribs when you wrap them?  I used to add a little apple juice, some rub and a little butter."
====================================================================

I prefer St. Louis cut ribs to baby backs as well. I use the no peek method with baby backs but I just prefer the results with the St Louis cut ribs doing the 3-2-1. When I wrap I use butter and brown sugar on the ribs. Sometimes I even add a little honey to the mix.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:05:05 AM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
Honey, brown sugar, rub and butter. If I'm out of honey, then maple syrup.

Danbow

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »
I like the St.Louis style myself and I roll them naked for 3hrs  at 230 and wrap them in foil with some apple juice and roll for another 3hrs. They turn out fantastic. I can't see the benefit of  unwrapping the last hr unless its just a drier presentation. I don't like to open my cabinet any more than needed so that's why I do it that way.
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

40 caliber

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 05:51:13 AM »
I guess i need to go back and try st louis. i pretty much prefer Babybacks.

i have found to pick the BB ribs that seem thinner. (without the thick end). In my neck of the woods is a brand called Indiana Kitchen. they always seem right and are not fat on one end. There is also Leddy's which is organic, no hormones (blah blah) and they tend to be thinner.

Both cook quicker and are usually done in 4 hours. I like the way they taste.

St louis ribs come out very fatty for me, even when i trim. maybe i need to go 6+ hours instead of the 5.5
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 11:57:38 AM »
I have tried both Baby Backs and St Louis Cut and strongly prefer the St Louis Cut.

Mine pretty much always take at least 6 hours, but they usually need 7.0-7.5. So, I would start checking at 6 hours with your toothpick.

I think this discussion is kind of subjective, so I think everyone owes it to themselves to try both kinds a couple of different times to see which one they prefer. Sometimes the kind I smoke depends on what I find on sale. But all things being equal (for me), I will pick St Louis Cut 100% of the time.

Good luck with your smoke!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
Never met a rib that I didn't like. Lol!

es1025

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
I am a big fan of babys but i was in bj’s and picked up two racks of slc. I used the 321 method and they came out moist and juicy. I smoked at 236. I really liked the slc ribs but for my taste a bit too fatty. I would make again however.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
I grew up on spares, but now vastly prefer good back ribs.  I've never mastered back ribs in the SI, because I just don't smoke them!  Maybe you do need to wrap them, Jimmy! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!