Author Topic: Possible model 3 buyer.  (Read 2119 times)

hunter2c

Possible model 3 buyer.
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »
Been researching for a while and looking at the model 3. It will be replacing a dead 40” masterbuilt. I have been through 2 masterbuilts in the last 6 years so it unreasonable to expect the 3 to last 6 years? If later I want to add the PID and use a bypass switch will that void the warranty? I don’t want the 3D do to the problems with the masterbuilt but I may like to add the PID as a backup.

Walt

Re: Possible model 3 buyer.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »
It should last much longer than 6 years.
I have had mine just under4. The machine is very simple & easy to repair if needed. The owner will personally assist if you call him. I have bypassed my analog unit and added the auber. He doesn't seem to care. He sold it to me. If a part fails he will replace it. If your modifications damage it, that would probably be a different story..... This is in a better class of smokers than the Masterbuilt. It's a great machine. You won't regret this decision. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »
After much research, I went with the SI because of the positive reviews and the fact that you can replace the burner if it goes bad. I also agree that the SI will last well beyond six years. My preference was to go with the analog model for simplicity and I added a stand-alone auber.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
One of the beautiful aspects of the SI is that there is so little to fail.  The #3 (analog) is going to be your most fail proof because it's as straight forward as you get.  You may well have an element go out in 6 years (easily replaced), but there is no reason to expect that it would.  Elements can last decades sometimes.  There are no seals to go bad.  There's no glass to break.  Properly cared for the SI should last a lifetime.

The 3D (digital) could very well have more failures as the PID unit is an electronic part on an appliance that goes outside and generates lots of heat and smoke.  That said, properly cared for that should also last.  Don't forget that the SIs come with a 3 year warranty, pretty much have replacement parts available for everything that can fail, and a company/owner that really stands behind his products.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »
As a side note the PID has a one (1) year warranty; the smoker itself is covered for 3 years. Adding a stand alone Auber is a simple plug and play. Opening the smoker for a bypass hack as some users have done may void the warranty but that is up to Steve's discretion.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

hunter2c

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
I ordered the 3 it should be here Thursday. Hope to cook on it Friday.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »
Enjoy!  What is to be your inaugural smoke?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 07:46:58 AM »
Hunter, ribs are a great choice for a first smoke. They are easy and very forgiving. Did I mention that they always come out great on an SI.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
Congrats Hunter and welcome to the family! 
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:21:17 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Hunter!   Ribs are a great first of many smokes.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2