Author Topic: My first pork butt  (Read 2224 times)

rpindianajones

My first pork butt
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:02:29 PM »
I smoked my first pork butt today. It was a small one about 3.5 pounds with no bone.  It is what I had in the freezer, so I used it.  I used DM's Brine (with the pink curing salt) for for about 9 hours.  Rinsed and dried it.  Used vegetable oil for the binder and used Famous Dave's Rib Rub then let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours.  I used 1.5 oz of hickory and .5 oz of cherry.  Set the SI #1 for 225 deg.  It took 7 1/2 hours to reach 195.  That surprised me,  I was expecting more like 5 or 6 hours because of the size.  The result was perfect.  It had to be the best pulled pork I have ever eaten.  It was tender, moist, terrific flavor, and what a wonderful bark flavor.  I couldn't stop eating it.  My wife liked it a lot also, and that is quite a feat to get her to actually like something like that.  I am so excited that it came out that good.  The best thing I have cooked to date.  I couldn't have gotten there without all the posting on this board.  Followed everyone's recommendations and seemed to bypass the learning curve.  I am sure that all things won't be this easy, but this one came out what I would call perfect.  The flavor was phenomenal.  Perfect amount of smoke flavor, and the most wonderful flavor pulled pork I have ever had.
I think you can tell I am excited.  Thank you all for all your postings and comments. I could not have accomplished this without you.   What a perfect way to get into smoking.
Ron from Indiana
SI #1
Weber Genesis

rpindianajones

Re: My first pork butt
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:44 PM »
I forgot to mention, which you can see in the picture, the Frogmats are absolutely great.  When it was time to get it out, I just grabbed the corner of the mat with my fingers ( it is not hot) and slid it right onto a tray.  Not a single drip hit the deck.  Nothing sticks to the Frogmat so getting the pork onto a platter is very easy.  Clean up is a cinch.  I ordered a 19" x 34" and cut it into 6 equal pieces.  They are the perfect size for my #1.  Cost is less than $6 each that way.  I can't imagine cooking without them.  I highly recommend them.
Ron from Indiana
SI #1
Weber Genesis

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
The Frogmats are great. I use them mostly for fish, but they are useful for everything. You have experienced the effect of smoking small pieces of meat. Pork butts less than say... 7 pounds or so... can take 2-3 hours per pound, and the smaller the butt, the more hours per pound it takes. Think of it this way, pork butt just takes a certain amount of time for the connective tissue and collagen to convert to gelatin. Regardless of size. Whether you have a small butt, or a large butt, this conversion process just takes time. So cooking/smoke time is not necessarily a mathematical formula based on weight. The smaller the butt, the more hours/per pound it will take. Or... a 6 pound butt might take the same number of hours as a 10 pound butt, just because of the collagen to gelatin process that needs to happen.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rpindianajones

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:59:52 PM »
Thank you SconnieQ, your explanation makes lots of sense.  I had seen some references to the long cooking times for small pieces and couldn't really get my head around.   I understand better now.  The rendering process will take say 8 hours, the size of the meat will increase the time from there.  That sort of makes sense.  Probably won't be doing a small one again, but I had it so I felt I should use it before I bought more.  Thanks again.  I love this forum.
Ron from Indiana
SI #1
Weber Genesis