Author Topic: Joined the smokin world  (Read 1805 times)

rpindianajones

Joined the smokin world
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »
I am Ron.  My very thoughtful children bought me an SI #1 for my birthday last month.  I have been wanting a smoker for a long time, my wife was sort of against it, so I never really pursued it.  My kids surprised me when a  large box showed up at my front door.  I (or my wife) had no idea.  I was thrilled.  I had to come up to speed in a hurry and this forum has been wonderful.  I feel I can find information on just about anything to help me. Such a confidence builder. I have made about a half dozen things so far.  They have been good (except one) but not outstanding.  I still have much to learn.  I am guilty (as probably most newbies are) of still trying to use too much wood.  I am still having trouble getting my head around using only an ounce or two of wood.  My failure was grossly over smoked Italian Sausage with only three ounces of hickory. I am getting better and expect some really good food in the future.   The #1 is perfect for just me and my wife.  My son did an excellent job researching smokers to come to this conclusion.  In the few weeks I have had it, what research I have done leads me to the same conclusion.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum.  I feel way ahead of the curve in this new world of smoking.  It would be a long road of trial and error without the input of all of you so we don't have to make the same mistakes.  I will make enough of my own, but hopefully minor thanks to all of you.  I am expecting to have lots of fun with it.
By the way, my wife is starting to like the food a lot.  I thing she is having a change of heart.
Ron from Indiana
SI #1
Weber Genesis

Jimeo

Re: Joined the smokin world
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
Welcome from Georgia Ron!  Sure is a nice present, congrats!
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
Welcome Ron from SE Arizona.  Go lightly with the wood and build up to the taste you and your family like. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
Another big welcome from Georgia. You are going to love it.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Ron!   Enjoy the #1 and all of the amazing goodness that it will produce.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
Welcome from Texas Ron! There is definitely a learning curve involved but once acclimated you'll appreciate what we call the "lazy Q" lifestyle.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:25 PM »
Welcome from the Georgia mountains!
Best Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »
Welcome Ron! I just love my #1. ;D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:22:22 PM »
Welcome to the family, Ron!  The SI might be the perfect smoker for you since your wife doesn't have to lose you to it.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...