Author Topic: BB ribs with poppers...  (Read 2269 times)

Jimeo

BB ribs with poppers...
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:21:25 PM »
Was planning on doing poppers for the first time today and the wife throws a curveball rib request at me.  Being last minute, had to settle for a rack from the grocery store vs Costco. 

The ribs. 
Mustard and coated one half with an ancho chile rub the other with byrons butt rub. No time to "get happy" in the fridge so into the #2, top rack bone side down, @225 with 3.5oz of cherry/post oak.  Decided to do a 2/2/1 since the ribs looked scrawny and was going to have to open the box up anyway to put the poppers in.

Two hour mark removed and foiled, bone side up, with butter brown sugar honey and a splash of apple juice.  Back into the smoker for the next two.

The poppers.

12 large jalapeños.  Cut 6 in half and removed the seeds and veins, the others cored, removing seeds and veins.  I used the same filling for both.

8oz of softened cream cheese
8oz of sharp cheddar
8 pieces of crumbled bacon
1 tbs onion powder
a handful of chopped fresh chives

Mixed with a hand blender and filled the peppers.  Wrapped the cut jalapeños with a half strip of bacon each, length wise.

Put the poppers in the smoker, bottom rack, with one hour to go on the ribs. Unfoiled the ribs and turned back to bone side down.  Let my 2/2/1 go to a 2/2/1.5 and removed ribs, wrapped, and let rest until the peppers were done.

Thirty minutes later (total of two hours for the jalapeños) removed poppers  and finished (bacon wrapped) under the broiler, one minute, to crisp up.

Results were really good.  The best ribs I've done so far in the SI, not falling off the bone but tender and pulled clean. No one even asked for BBQ sauce.  The poppers were really good as well, enough of a kick without burning the eyebrows off.  Couldn't eat a whole bunch of them, actually pretty heavy with all the cheese and bacon, but a nice appetizer or side. 

Toss in some homemade Mac and fresh green beans and we had a feast!

Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: BB ribs with poppers...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »
I really don't do much prep with ribs, so they are a great last minute smoke. Remove the membrane (if any), rub, and into the smoker. I don't do the 3-2-1 or other such things. If you like to fuss, then feel free. Just a small loaf pan with water snugged up against the wood box, at 225. 5-5.5 hours for baby backs, 6-7 for St. Louis. Wrap in foil and rest for 1 hour. If you have a little extra time, you can rub in advance and let sit in the fridge, but it's not necessary for great ribs.

I've never done poppers, but they look delicious!

The Costco ribs near me are Swift Premium. Not sure how that compares to grocery store ribs, but I don't think it is so superior in quality. Maybe price. You will find bigger differences in quality when it comes to beef, but not so much with pork. With the exception of selection of pork cuts. Costco is the only place I can get whole pork bellys.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:58:00 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Jimeo

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »
Not a big fusser myself either Kari, have a five and six year old, that's enough fussing for me.  This was my third time doing ribs on the SI, no peak on the first two, and these were by far the best I've done, for my taste.  Can't say I'm convinced the 2/2/1 was the difference, so many variables in play, especially doing two different things in the same smoke.  I am convinced that the quality of the meat is a major factor, ribs from Costco or Sams look like dinosaur ribs compared to what I get at the grocery store.  Definitely looking forward to another rib smoke to put that hypothesis to the test.  As for the poppers, I would definitely give them a try.  They were delicious!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:53:00 PM by Jimeo »
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
Some people swear by the 3-step rib method. I think if your ribs are of questionable quality, that will definitely make them better. The only brand of ribs I had get dry on me were Smithfield, but other times Smithfield were good. Could be I just overcooked them. I don't know which brand is the best, but I've had good luck with the Swift Premium from Costco. I used to do the 2-step method (just foil, no sauce step) on my Weber Smoky Mountain, but the SI holds the moisture and temperature so well, that I don't do them that way now, just for the sake of ease. I like them both ways though. Maybe I should try that method again someday on the SI.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
When I do my popper I do almost the exact same recipe but I add pulled pork I keep in the freezer
 for things like this and to go on Burgers.  Yes I am a Big fat guy :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:07:57 AM by raymillsus »
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

drains

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
Fine looking spread you got there. Good job.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
Great looking plate Jimeo. I think you covered all the important food groups.  Lol!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah