Author Topic: 3D won't turn on. Where do I start?  (Read 12835 times)

JustChillin

Re: 3D won't turn on. Where do I start?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 06:55:04 AM »
IMO - sometimes simpler is the better. I love my analog #2 but I am sure that there are many on this forum that love their digital models. Just keep on smoking and enjoying.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 04:44:33 PM »
Tom - Took longer to get around to my smoker than I had planned.  Sorry for the delay.  I took the controller off and as you observed, no fuse.  I stopped short of removing the logic board and looking at the 'hidden side'.  I then took the back of the smoker off, removed the outermost layer of insulation and poked in and around all the wires.  No fuse located. It is possible I missed something.  Best advice I can give is to contact Steve. I will do the same.  Dave

EDIT:  Per Steve, there is no fuse on the SI model D smokers.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:36:07 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

40 caliber

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 05:24:02 AM »
IMO - sometimes simpler is the better. I love my analog #2 but I am sure that there are many on this forum that love their digital models. Just keep on smoking and enjoying.

I have had them both and they each have their plusses and minuses. the analog temp swings more and depending how much meat you put in, the consistency of time to cook can be different. I track almost every smoke on a spreadsheet with my process, outside temp, temp used and results. I can say this pretty factually.

The Digital holds temp a lot better and helps nail the meal. I find the analog more "craft" than science and that can be fun too. it feels more like a challenge.

I think the analog smokes the meat better due to the swings in the heat up. Meat only accepts smoke until 140 degrees (so i am told here). i think the swings in the analog allow a little more time but that is my uneducated opinion.

I think the kind of personality you have would determine what you like more. I'm a split personality so i like them both  :)

If your en engineer type, you'd like the D. if you more creative, like the challenge you may like the analog more.  my opinion only from a year of smoking with each one.

I dont have an overwhelming preference.  I will admit I usally prefer simpler
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:25:54 AM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
When the D models first came out the SI salesmen on the site really pushed them.  For the life of me I couldn't figure out why someone wouldn't want redundancy of analog with an option for PID control.  It has saved me a couple of times but then again I think the Auber is a POS on a $1,700 smoker. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

40 caliber

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
I agree dave that would be a massive improvement to have the redundancy. If i hadn't wanted to go to a 3 from a 2, i would have upgraded the 2.

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »
Sooner or later someone may hack their D model and install analog components to achieve that redundancy, much like several did to the analog models to achieve digital. Just takes a strong desire and time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

40 caliber

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 05:44:20 AM »
Received the part yesterday , will keep you posted after I swap it out this weekend!
Tom From NH

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »
Good to hear you got what you needed.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
Received the part yesterday , will keep you posted after I swap it out this weekend!
Tom,
Was "part" a new PID or did you figure out a bad component? 

40 caliber

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »
Dave , i bought the whole PID. as there was a hole in the PID, I didnt' know how to debug it. I assumed i would see if someone knew where to send for rebuild and a quote.  with a hole in the front, i assumed it might get cheaper to replace. worse case, i have a back up
Tom From NH

40 caliber

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »
Please help.
I took a quick look at the PID and this led to me starting to pull it apart and switch it out. there are basically 3 connection areas with 5 wires. simple enough.

i could not get the middle wires off that i needed to. There are however similar ones right next to it that i dont need to switch. i figured if i screwed them up, no harm.. That one came off easy. you can see it in my hand. The one i need to switch out is tougher. (see pic where i am pointing with screwdriver to similar connection). it appears to have a small nipple to keep it in place. is there somewhere I push that in or do I just give it a good tug? At $189, i figured i would check. it's not coming on it's own very well. it wiggles but the nipple is holding it. I dont know if i push that in with a screwdriver or push at the top to disconnect. the nipple is in the top hole you can see in the center of the connector on pic one.

I also put in the last pic to save time. this is the other one i need to do. looks like just a simple SMALL screwdriver required. but figured i would check while i have you here.

I am going to take a shower. Ill check back soon

thanks in advance
tom
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:06:37 AM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH

40 caliber

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:49 AM »
3rd pic
Tom From NH

40 caliber

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 10:42:44 AM »
OK, i got it all apart using a ball point pen and pushing the nipple (hooray!)
bad news is I got all together and has the same problem. I had checked current and had current to all wires into the PID. (or at least i thought). i need to go buy one as it was my neighbors and double check it. that aside the only thing that I see is one connector is more loose than when i started (the one in the picture). i may have broken the nipple but the connector is on the tab. I would think its still getting a connection but tried to tighten it as well.

I dont think that is it as it's no different than where i started. where do I go now?  the back of the smoker says use 15 amp fuses. where is there a fuse? I opened the back and all I see is the relay. Is there a fuse in the relay?

any suggestions will help. I am down in prime smoking season!

and yes, i just texted Steve.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:54:31 AM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
Tom- The reference to the fuse is almost certain to be for a 15 amp circuit. Just a matter of terminology. When you go get your multimeter be sure to get s small set of keepers screwdrivers and maybe a good set of tweezers. These components are small as you know and smaller tools are very useful.

If you have checked and tested everything and it still will not power on give Steve a call. Do you have power to and from the relay?

EDIT:  I am now on a computer vice the tiny phone.  Much easier to see the photos.  Spade connectors can be tough to remove if the tech crimped them during assembly.  Tiny tools are the key since you need to not only grab the spade to pull it off but also hold fast the component the spade connects to.  If you have the smoker open, check to make sure your ground is tight.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:33:59 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
For future reference, sending my unit to Auberins has been a $10 - $12 shipping cost and the diagnosis time has been about $10.  Unfortunately, I've had to do this a couple times which has led to my lack of confidence in the Auber as a reliable controller.  When I do overnight smokes I still get up numerous times to check it as too many times I've gone out in the middle of the night to a blinking controller.  But I do highly recommend sending your unit in for a look from the people that built it.