Author Topic: Bad temperature probe???  (Read 1796 times)

terry13111

Bad temperature probe???
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »
I tried using my temperature probe for the first time the other day. I set the temp to 145 and couldn't get it to work. Both screens just keep flashing END. Seems like the temperature probe was giving a bad reading and the control box thought the temp was already at 145 even though the meat was still raw. Is this possible?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad temperature probe???
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:08:41 PM »
Not sure what the problem could be.  I would take the controller off carefully and check for a loose connection and correct. Also make sure the jack for the probe is tight.  Turning the smoker off and unplugging then plugging it back in and turning it on may reset it. If none of that works, contact Steve. Good luck.

EDIT:  There is another possibility, although rare.  Make sure that your food does not touch the box probe.  There have been a couple of instances where someone managed to skewer the meat on the box probe.  Rare but it has happened. Also, when using the meat probe, beside to program in the finished temp that you want the meat at.  Say you set the smoker temp for 225 and the meat temp for 195. All the other steps should be 0.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:37:23 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

terry13111

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
To clarify, I am talking about the temperature probe that plugs into the Auber unit, not the one attached to the back of the smoker.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
 That is the meat probe.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill