Author Topic: Chips caught on fire  (Read 1900 times)

terry13111

Chips caught on fire
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
Tried running my smoker for the third time today. I tried chips with the screen for the first time and they caught on fire, a huge flame when I opened it. Is this normal? And if not, what can I do to prevent it?

Walt

Re: Chips caught on fire
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 09:47:38 PM »
Heat + fuel source only needs oxygen to flame up. Don't open the door until the protein is to desired temp. Generally plan on using chips on lower temp smokes below 200 degrees. Chunks above that. I do augment the higher temp smokes with a sprinkling of chips or shavings in addition to the chunks. Good luck
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 11:13:07 PM »
This is your third try at using the smoker and the chips caught fire. So we know the smoker is heating up.  As Walt said, don't open the door till the meat is done, or until the smoker has ceased producing smoke which may be several hours.  On your other post you indicated the smoker was shutting down when using the meat probe.  Try what I suggested on your other post and let us know what you find out.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

terry13111

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
The smoker shut down when trying to use the temperature probe that attaches to the Auber. Yesterday I didn't attempt to use that.