Author Topic: Wings Greatest Hits Recipe  (Read 3131 times)

will615

Wings Greatest Hits Recipe
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »
This recipe is a compilation of a bunch of different recipes that I read in this forum. This is only my 2nd smoke in the #1. This transition to Lazy Q is killing me. Shouldn’t great smoked meat be more trouble to prepare?!
I rinsed the wings, patted them dry, and covered them with ordinary yellow mustard (not for flavor but to hold the rub). I spread them out on a cookie sheet, dusted them on both sides with my favorite rub (from Charlie’s meat market, Memphis, TN), then threw them in a Ziploc to sit in the fridge for 3 hours.
Sprayed the racks with PAM
I smoked them for 1 hr. at 250 degrees (outside temp = 85 deg). A lot of people recommended cherry for the wood. The only cherry that I had on hand is the size of rough sawdust. I measured out 3/4 oz. and it was a lot more than I normally use so I didn’t add any more. I made a small trough of aluminum foil to hold the sawdust.
After 1 hr., I took them out and mixed them up in honey and BBQ sauce. I microwaved the honey and sauce ahead of time to make them easier to blend. I have 30 wings and used about 4 oz of honey and the same of BBQ sauce.
I smoked them for another 1.25 hrs. I then took them to the grill (on high) and charred the outside for about 2 minutes per side.
They were cooked perfectly but they needed some spice. My wife and I used Rendezvous seasoning and my daughter used Slap Ya Mama. I am very pleased with the end result! Next time, I will use more rub in the marinade step. Otherwise, I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m amazed at how the smoker retains so much moisture in the meat. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Wings Greatest Hits Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
Nice lookin' wings Will!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

drains

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
Sound like a great recipe. Wings look delicious.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

pargolfr2003

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »
Nice job Will! I make wings pretty often so I know good wings when I see em and those look awesome!
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
Awesome Will, you have motivated me. Wings are now on my short list of new things to try.  Thanks
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

will615

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
I cooked wings again this weekend, tweaked the recipe, and may have made my best wings ever! I marinaded them for 4 hours in Wickers BBQ sauce/marinade.  I placed them on a cookie sheet and dusted them with my favorite rib rub. This time I used 2.5 oz. of hickory in the smoker after reading someone here that preferred the smokier flavor (I agree). Smoked them for 1 hr @ 235 deg. Took them out and mixed them in a bowl with warm Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, honey, and siracha. Back in the smoker for another 1.25 hrs. Then I put them on a pre-heated/high gas grill for less than 2 minutes to crisp the skin. They didn't need anything else! I love the wings that my #1 produces!!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!