Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 3144 times)

abaran

Need some help
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »
 So lately my pulled pork has been taking 18+ hours . So today I started four of them for a party tomorrow . Five hours later they are at 190 . I checked all four of them there within 2 or 3° of each other . I've never done more than 2 at the same time . How can I slow  this down ?
Andre:SI3 with Auber, Weber kettle , Weber gas,and a  seldom  used char-broiler.
"A well-instructed people alone can be permanently a free people "-James Madison

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »
Did you check all 4 with the same probe? How many pounds are your butts? At what temp are you smoking them? Make sure your probe is not hitting the bone. There is no way they should be at 190 in 5 hours. There is an error somewhere...possibly the probe. Possibly cook temp too high? Make sure your smoker is no higher than 225, and see if the meat temps go down. Keep them going, and wait until their internal temps are 195-200. You might just have to go by time and feel if your probe is not accurate.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 12:32:50 AM »
Andre -  In addition to what Kari said, I noticed that you experienced some long times on butts and even a brisket dating back to AUG 2015, then no more mention of long cook times. Did you get it figured out and now the 'bug' is back?  Have you checked your box temperature with an accurate remote thermometer to determine what the difference between the Auber and the remote readings might be?  Also do a check running without the Auber keeping in mind the temp swings of analog. Are the swings acceptable for the temperature set? Also, you might need or want to run an auto tune on the Auber.  Your manual should explain the procedures. Is it possible that your heating element is not heating uniformly throughout it's full length? If operated at night, the element should show a mostly uniform glow, like an electric element on a stove. I can't think of anything else.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

ibbones

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »
Is it possible that the butt was touching the box temp sensor so the heat never shut off?  I did that once.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »
Is it possible that the butt was touching the box temp sensor so the heat never shut off?

I think this is the most likely reason. If the box was running 250 plus it would be a hot fast smoke.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

stout

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »
the box temp sensor

i've never looked before.. where is the sensor in the 3d?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
the box temp sensor

On the first generation of D models it is on the back wall and at about mid height.  Later batches of D's moved the sensor very close to the top. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

stout

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »
the box temp sensor

On the first generation of D models it is on the back wall and at about mid height.  Later batches of D's moved the sensor very close to the top.

thanks i'll have to look

abaran

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »
 Still not sure what exactly happened . But we ended up cooking the pork with a timer not a thermometer . I should have clarified all of this happened on my brothers Cookshack . I did 2 15 pound brisket's which were wonderful.  Unfortunately I only have the before pictures .
Andre:SI3 with Auber, Weber kettle , Weber gas,and a  seldom  used char-broiler.
"A well-instructed people alone can be permanently a free people "-James Madison

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
I am really confused now. So the Pork Butt problem was on a Cookshack? In your original post, you describe internal temperature reaching 190 in 5 hours. Is that in the Cookshack? We can't help you with that. You also say in your most current post that you were using a timer and not a thermometer, yet you describe your butts were at 190 in 5 hours? Sounds like you were using a thermometer. What does the timer have to do with that? Could you give more details of the problem?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:31:45 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

abaran

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
 We had two units side-by-side one Cookshack one Smokin-it.  Cookshack had 4 pork butts in it . Don't ask me how but the pork reached an internal temperature of 190 in 5 hours. We knew that was wrong so we kept cooking them for another 18 hours, they came out fine . The briskets in the Smokin-it came out perfect . I guess it was just a moment of panic