Author Topic: How long can you wait after brining pork butt?  (Read 2441 times)

rockadile

How long can you wait after brining pork butt?
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
I've done several butts in the past but not to the point where I have it all down, yet.  I picked up the Costco double pack of boneless butts to smoke tonight/tomorrow.  I decided to try DivotMaker's brine recipe.  Unfortunately, I started the brine a bit early.  My questions are how long can they brine for, at a maximum, and how long can they wait until after coming out of the brine before going on the smoker?  Anything I should do other than rinsing them thoroughly?  Lastly, no rub until they are going on the smoker, correct?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:07:06 PM by rockadile »
SI #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: How long can you wait after brining pork butt?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
Kevin,
IMO, more than 24 hours in brine and it starts to change the texture of the meat and I wouldn't see a problem with the meat being refrigerated another 12 hours after coming out of the brine.  If you are going to have an extended wait period after coming out of the brine, I'd put my rub on immediately. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

stout

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 01:04:27 PM »
usually i brine over night.. or more like from the afternoon till the next mod morning or so. figure 12 to 18 hours
then i put on rub.. sometimes for a few hours sometimes overnight.. occasionally i will freshen up the rub a bit right before it goes in the smoker

rockadile

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I think I may pull it from the brine at 16 hours apply rub and refrigerate until they go on the smoker which would be approximately 4.5 hours.  Does that make sense?
SI #3

stout

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I think I may pull it from the brine at 16 hours apply rub and refrigerate until they go on the smoker which would be approximately 4.5 hours.  Does that make sense?

sounds good me that gives the rub some time to work it's way in to the meat some

rockadile

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the advice.
SI #3