Author Topic: Using lower rack on smoking ribs  (Read 3009 times)

swede8a

Using lower rack on smoking ribs
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
OK  - usually I smoke two racks at a time and use the top two racks. Needing to smoke at least three racks and not sure if I can use the lower rack nearest the heat element without overcooking/burning the ribs. If I should not use the lower rack, can I stack racks of ribs on top of each other on the top two racks? When you increase the amount of meat does that increase the smoke time or is it 225 for 5+hours still. Thanks for help with this rookie question.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Using lower rack on smoking ribs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:32:16 PM »
First, welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.  In answer to your question regarding stacking the ribs - no. Not a good idea. You can smoke on the lower rack and rotate the ribs at some point during the process.  You will have to check them to determine when to rotate.  I would wait on the checking till the smoke has died out to avoid a rush of air and a flame. Alternately, and a better idea is to visit a big box store or hardware store and get some rib racks and smoke them on edge or get some hooks and hang the ribs.   On the totally cheap DIY side, ball up so heavy duty foil and wedge it into the cooking racks on either side of the ribs and fashion your own rib racks.   That is my two cents worth. You don't mention what size smoker you have; that would help with advice. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:06:01 AM »
Another Welcome, this time from Texas. What Dave said, plus a copy and paste from Tony:
"Open up and say hi! Welcome to Smokin-It!!! Tell us about where you're from, and your smoking background. We encourage first names in our signature lines! It's nice to know who we're making new friends with!"
Keep asking questions there are many very experienced good folk on this forum who like to help and don't forget to post pictures, we like pictures!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

swede8a

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
My name is Richard and I am from central Iowa. Have a #1 smoker and have not ventured past ribs. Have a digital thermometer but have not used it to date. Will look for rib rack and improvise for the time being. Thanks for tip on foil.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »
I have stacked a lot of ribs with good results but never in an SI. My #3 is plenty big I've never been that short of space. The main problem with stacking it leads to a lot of door opening to rotate racks. Spread out the meat you have and time two or three quick rotations of moving the top down and the bottom up.

Having said that I have smoked equal loads on the first and second grates in my #3 without rotating and have had no bad results.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swede8a

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:57:40 PM »
When going from two racks of ribs to three do you need to extend the cooking time. have been going 515-530 with two racks at 225. Looks like I will use three metal shelves and flip racks when smoke settles down. Thanks for help on cooking time with more meat.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
Maybe extend it some but not much. Give it a peek about ten minutes past your normal time and see where your at.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud