Author Topic: Trimming up a Boston Butt?  (Read 3077 times)

Papa Rick

Trimming up a Boston Butt?
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »
I have heard of people trimming up their BB before they put them in the smoker, but I never have.

I smoked four Smithfield BB I got from Sams club yesterday.  They always have a layer (thin one on the bottom of them) and never haver tried to trim them off, but some people tell me it would be better if they were??

Looking for advice and suggestions on this.  The four ranged from 9.67 then the other three were around 7.5.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

Grampy

Re: Trimming up a Boston Butt?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
Richard, don't do it! Fat equals flavor. Leave it alone and smoke them like they are and remove any extra large chunks of fat as you pull it.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
Richard, don't do it! Fat equals flavor. Leave it alone and smoke them like they are and remove any extra large chunks of fat as you pull it.

Seconded...  I did a couple butts not too long ago and the only thing I trimmed off was what looked like some veins on one 'corner' of one of them.  The majority of the fat cooked away and it was super easy to separate what was left while pulling the meat.  I didn't need a fork or anything...  just rubbed it between my fingers and thumb and it came right apart.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
Totally agree. No trimming!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Hulk

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:13:28 PM »
Great thing about this forum is there is no right or wrong. With that said I'll go against the grain and say I do some trimming. I like to take the tougher top edge of the fat cap off. In my opinion it opens up the sweet fat for rendering and allows the rub to hold creating a better more tender flavorful bark.
Plus I save and freeze the pork fat to grind into venison come deer season. Safe to do if you keep the fat below 40 degrees during the grinding process.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States