Author Topic: Possible model 1 buyer  (Read 4735 times)

topdog77c

Possible model 1 buyer
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:25:29 AM »
Been thinking and researching for a while. Since he does so much for our family and his, going to buy my oldest son a smoker for fathers day. Looking at the model 1. Opinions welcome.

Thanks.

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
Re: Possible model 1 buyer
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 02:02:23 AM »
He will love it.... its the gift that keeps on given. I work ridiculous hours on the road and the one thing that brings the family together when I get home is firing up the smoker.  Highly recommended!!!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

drains

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
You won't be disappointed and I know your son will be delighted with the #1.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You cannot go wrong with a smoker from SI. The tough decision is what size to get. Will the 1 take care of current and future needs or would a larger model be a better investment? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:15:09 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
The #1 is built solid and works great just like all of the rest of the line.  It will serve your son well.

I personally own the #2 and labored over whether to get it or the #3 for the extra depth.  At the end of the day I'm very happy and just sometimes wonder if the #3 would have been worth it.  On the other hand, I pretty certain I would have had buyer's remorse had I gone with the #1 because of the size.

My personal recommendation would be to go with the #2 if you can make it fit your budget.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Buck

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
I love me my s1 model and don't regret getting the little guy for one second.  Take the plunge.

In two days last weekend I smoked..
Back Back Ribs
Beef Short Ribs
Rack of Lamb 2x
Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops 3x

The size is perfect for me and if he uses it alot and wants to get a bigger one  someday the Smokin-It line of products is NOT THAT expensive anyway.
Buck
Chicago, IL

JustChillin

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:10:13 AM »
He is one lucky son! I have a #2 and use it for preparing for rather large tailgating groups but a #1 would easily suffice for my typical everyday use. Whatever you decide, he will love it.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »
Topdog, the toughest part about your decision is the model #. We like to host pool parties and thought the 1 would not accommodate the amount of food we need. I was set on the #2 then I realized that there is a good chance a full rack of ribs and a packer brisket would not fit due to the #2 not being deep enough. Final decision #3. I know that fiancially there is a big difference. For a gift I would go for the #2

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

volscrazy65

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 04:05:40 PM »
Sounds like a great gift to me!  Is your son interested in smoking?  I know it would ruin the surprise but you may want to talk it over with him.  He may be willing to chip in a little and get the #2. 
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
Since it is a gift, I would give him the #2. If it was your you then you would know that the limited size of the #1 would be appropriate.

By giving the #2 you are giving him more options. Personally I have a #3 and couldn't go smaller.  He would appreciate the #1 but would love a #2.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Hulk

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
My #2 was a birthday present from my wife and kids. It's become a great hobby that benefits them on a regular basis. In all seriousness when you start comparing smokers an SI is a bargin. Looks great, consistent results, and superior construction that can be used year round in any temperatures. Plus all his buddies and the neighbors will be jealous. 
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

topdog77c

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 06:21:10 AM »
After all the response and some further soul searching, the Model 2 will be here Wednesday. Thanks to all for the great feedback. The gift that keeps on giving. A thumbs up from Texas.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
After all the response and some further soul searching, the Model 2 will be here Wednesday. Thanks to all for the great feedback. The gift that keeps on giving. A thumbs up from Texas.

Congrats!  It's a great smoker and now you have lots of future gifts...  turkey rack, seafood rack, jerky dryer, stand or cabinet, the list goes on...  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 11:20:12 PM »
Good decision. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:54 AM »
He will love it.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.