Author Topic: My Memorial Day Brisket  (Read 2556 times)

Billdozer

• You x
My Memorial Day Brisket
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:10:42 AM »
So I am new to the forum but have had my #2 since Christmas. It seems like every start to my cooks starts with the smoker heating up and my wood catching fire. I am sure it's probably the moisture content and I have tried to change up where I get the wood from. Regardless though every time it starts with a big temperature swing up to like 350 on my maverick and this time I opened the door to flames. I assume has been happening in the past smokes when I get these swings. Should I start the smoker to like 180 and then gradually move up to 225-235 rather than starting at 225 from the get go? I even had the wood boated in foil this time....

Other than the minor hiccup in the first set of chunks igniting I am hoping this smoke goes well from here on out. I started with a whole brisket brined it in DMs brine and just used S&P on the outside with apple and hickory. Total weight before the trim was 14 had to kind of squish it together to avoid having to cut it in half to fit in the #2.
Bill from St. Louis, MO
Smokin-It 2
Let's Go Cardinals!

Billdozer

• You x
Re: My Memorial Day Brisket
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 01:01:07 AM »
Another question is with the Franklin method and the butcher paper what temp is ideal to wrap it at? I was going to go with 160 when it hits the stall.
Bill from St. Louis, MO
Smokin-It 2
Let's Go Cardinals!

Greenenvey

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
Hi I'm diffently  no expert  here, but I've used my #3d alot so I can tell you what works for me. I buy my wood from smokinliciuos,  tell them what smoker you have and they will tell you the perfect size chunks for it, I believe it's called the double fillet chunks if memory  serves me correctly.... I always wrap the bottom and edges in a tinfoil  boat before putting it in the wood box,  as far as wrapping  I think anywhere from 160 to 170 is a good time, it will be starting  the stall and usually  have good bark by then. Good luck let us know how it goes!
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »
Bill,

There are a number of ways to combat wood igniting, starting with high moisture content wood, learning the hot spots of your fire box and the temp build up you mentioned.  I cover half the holes in the bottom of my fire box with foil and put my chip screen in on all smokes as my solution and it works great for me. 

The 160 wrap temp would be just fine. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Billdozer

• You x
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 05:45:22 PM »
The brisket turned out amazing!! Out of this world thanks to DMs brine it had a nice smoke ring and tasted even better! Can't wait to do it again!
Bill from St. Louis, MO
Smokin-It 2
Let's Go Cardinals!

Billdozer

• You x
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
More brisket
Bill from St. Louis, MO
Smokin-It 2
Let's Go Cardinals!

EFGM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
I'd say we have another Briskitarian! Way to go Billdozer!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

drains

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 03:36:41 PM »
That had to have been very tasty. Nicely done.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3