Author Topic: How to set a delayed start for 3D  (Read 2788 times)

MTSmokin

How to set a delayed start for 3D
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »
Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen this tip out there to delay the start time on the IT model D smokers so I wanted to share it.

I was wanting to have good bbq for dinner on a weekday but needed to turn on the smoker in the middle of the day and didn't know how I was going to make that happen so I got to thinking (necessity is the mother of invention!)...  What if I set the box temperature to a temperature so low the heating element won't turn on?  I tried it and it works!

To have a "delayed" start time on your model D set the first program step to a temperature less than ambient ( I use 1F so I know at a glance it's not an "empty" program step.

The first time I used it to cook ribs.  I put the ribs in a 6:00 am, set the program steps to:
  1F box temperature, time 6 hours
  230F box temperature for 5.2 hours
When I got home from work at 5:30 they were ready to eat and tasty!

Last night I put a brisket in at 8:00 and set the program steps to:
  1F box temperature, time 5 hours
  230 box temperature, 197 meat temperature
  160 box temperature, 6 hours (hold time)

When I got home from work at 6:00 I had a perfectly done, tasty brisket!

Now that is Lazy-Q, no getting up in the middle of the night to turn on the smoker and still great bbq the next day!

Just wanted to share my discovery with the group, happy smokin!
Mark in the northern BBQ desert

3D, Traeger, Weber gas & charcoal
In search of great BBQ without working all day or night to get there

EFGM

Re: How to set a delayed start for 3D
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:24:20 AM »
Couple of questions?  Now, I'm always concerned about food safety and my understanding is you have 4 hours to get your IT up to 140*. Knowing the smokers are well insulated, how are you keeping the bad stuff from growing with being in the 40-139 temp range for 6 hours on ribs and 5 hours on brisket. Did you measure and graph the temps during those waiting times? Sorry for being skeptical but not sure this is a safe method. Interested to see what others have to say concerning this.  Ready to be corrected in my understanding is wrong.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
Good information Mark.  I am sure a lot of folks will find it useful.  But I am with Doug on the food safety issue. I can see safely doing this in cold weather, or if the meat is partially frozen where it thaws in the smoker before the smoker kicks in.  Any thoughts?  Would the actual cooking temperature kill off any bacteria that might have started growing?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

MTSmokin

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »
I'm not a food safety expert so if someone is please chime in here and correct me if I've got something wrong.

I agree I don't want to put meat in a 90F box and let it set for 4 hours before it turns on so some common sense about outside temperatures does need to be applied.  That said, the following "Safe Minimum Cooking Temperatures" established by the Department Of Agriculture (USDA) / Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) give me a high level of confidence that Salmonella is not a major concern for long cook BBQ since my pull temperature is always over 165 and my time above that temperature is usually measured in hours.

Category                                    Food                                            Temperature (°F)     Rest Time
Ground Meat & Meat Mixtures   Beef, Pork, Veal, Lamb                  160                         None
                                                 Turkey, Chicken                             165                         None
Fresh Beef, Veal, Lamb              Steaks, roasts, chops                   145                        3 minutes
Poultry                                      Chicken & Turkey, whole                165                        None
                                                 Poultry breasts, roasts                   165                        None
                                                 Poultry thighs, legs, wings             165                        None
                                                 Duck & Goose                                165                        None
                                                 Stuffing (cooked alone or in bird)  165                        None
Pork and Ham                           Fresh pork                                      145                        3 minutes
                                                Fresh ham (raw)                             145                        3 minutes

Link to table source:  https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Am I missing some basic food safety rule here?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:10:56 PM by MTSmokin »
Mark in the northern BBQ desert

3D, Traeger, Weber gas & charcoal
In search of great BBQ without working all day or night to get there

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in on items that utilize a cure which might over ride this 4 hour rule. I was taught that the 4 hours starts when you take it out of refrigeration to prep, not when you put inside smoker. Hope this helps.

“Remember the danger zone: 41-135 F. Potentially hazardous foods exposed to this temperature range for a cumulative total of more than 4 hours are not safe to eat”
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:44:45 AM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"