Author Topic: 2nd brisket in 3D - better  (Read 2888 times)

Kennr

2nd brisket in 3D - better
« on: May 13, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »
After the disastrous first attempt I went about the next one entirely different. Used only 3oz of oak. First 2 hrs at just 185 deg. Transferred it to alum deep pan and covered with foil with holes punched in it, then 10 hrs at 210, followed by about 4 hrs at 140. Internal temp was around 150. Inserted probe set for 190 and kicked the cook temp up to 240. Came out tender as can be and still juicy. Only issue is the smoke taste is still on the bitter side and kind of overpowering. I'll try cleaning the inside of the smoker just in case it's been over-smoked from previous cook. BTW, what looks like a good smoke ring is from a sprinkling with Morton's Tender Quick curing salt overnight prior to the rub.
Kenneth
Plano,Tx
3D
Oklahoma Joe stickburner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 2nd brisket in 3D - better
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
On your next brisket, try hickory, a low tannin wood.  Oak has a higher concentration of tannin which might lead to bitterness.  Regardless of what wood you are using, if the smoke is heavy and grey, it will be bitter.  Here is good article, more information than actually needed but interesting none the less.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Kennr

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 02:45:35 PM »
On your next brisket, try hickory, a low tannin wood.  Oak has a higher concentration of tannin which might lead to bitterness.  Regardless of what wood you are using, if the smoke is heavy and grey, it will be bitter.  Here is good article, more information than actually needed but interesting none the less.http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

Thanks for sharing Dave. Interesting read. I thought I had thoroughly researched that topic but clearly there are numerous factors to consider.  I found it interesting that a tree's locale and soil will affect the smoke even more than the type tree. Here in my home state of Texas, post oak is the favorite of some of the top pitmasters for it's alleged "milder smoke". But those articles neglected to mention tannin content. I'll be ordering some quality hickory and/or pecan to try next time!
Kenneth
Plano,Tx
3D
Oklahoma Joe stickburner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
Just keep in mind that what one person prefers may not be to the liking of another. Glad to have been of some small help.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus