Author Topic: New 3D Owner Impressions part II  (Read 2391 times)

MTSmokin

New 3D Owner Impressions part II
« on: May 04, 2017, 11:18:16 PM »
Since  my initial post post a few weeks ago where I did a side by side brined vs. not brined chicken cook (brined wins by wide margin) I have done several other cooks and wanted to share my experiences and observations.

I have cooked:
-Baby back ribs (Costco, 3 racks @ 235 for 6 hours)
-2 chickens (Costco, brined @235 to 140 [opps] a couple hours, and then finished on Weber gasser)
-Pulled pork (9 lbs. bone in, fat down, @225, 30 hours to get to 195)
-Elk roast (2 lbs. @225, ~3 hours to 140)
-Whole packer brisket (~12 lbs. after trimming fat to >1/4", fat down, @225, 18 hours to get to 195)

I've observed that:
-Things cook real fast at 235
-Things cook double extremely slow at 225
-Flavor is good, skin and bark... not so much (except for the brisket which had some great bark and some not so great)
-Shorter smokes have way more smoke flavor (which I prefer) than longer smokes
-An Elk roast is just steaks I didn't cut, don't over think or over salt it.  I think searing first would have produced a better bark and end result
-Dry wood doesn't give as good of a smoke flavor
-Smoke from pellets seems inconsistent
-If you don't get a shipping notice from Smokinlicious Paypal may have messed up the order and it's not on its way, call to make sure

I'm wondering...
-Does everyone with a 3D see long cook times when cooking at 225?
-If I cooked at 235 would that change the flavor?
-If I cooked at 235 would it result in a dryer result?
-If I cooked at 235 would it get done much faster?
-Is there anything that be done to prevent the skin from being rubbery (I always use a mini loaf pan filled with water)?

I'm sure I've missed a few observations and questions but I'm hoping this will start some conversation we can all learn from.

Mark in the northern BBQ desert

3D, Traeger, Weber gas & charcoal
In search of great BBQ without working all day or night to get there

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: New 3D Owner Impressions part II
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:19:20 AM »
-
Does everyone with a 3D see long cook times when cooking at 225?
Yes! Well, I do for sure. No different than a low temp in an oven.

-If I cooked at 235 would that change the flavor?
I would not think so regarding the meat itself.   But as it could cause the meat to hit 140 degrees sooner, you might not get all the smoke absorption that you desire. Also, the higher temp may have an effect on any rub you are using.

-If I cooked at 235 would it result in a dryer result?
Since it could cause the internal fat to render somewhat quicker, over a long smoke the meat could be a tad drier. I would recommend injecting a liquid complimenting the meat. Then again, the higher heat could seal off the exterior cell structure of the meat retaining some of the internal juices. I have never given it much thought.

-If I cooked at 235 would it get done much faster?
Faster, yes.  Much faster? Not sure.  I get butts and briskets that rarely finish within 30 minutes of other smokes of like meats and weights.  Each smoke is a bit different. The same results that I got with my Cookshack and my offset stick burner. Every smoke was a tad different. Semper Gumby!  (always flexible)

-Is there anything that be done to prevent the skin from being rubbery (I always use a mini loaf pan filled with water)?
Rubbery skin is a fact of life. You are not smoking at high heat which is necessary for the fat in the skin to crisp up.  You can set the bird under a broiler for a few minutes, of put icon a grill over high heat.  Just keep an eye on it. Also, I occasionally use a small loaf pan on brisket only.

- I'm sure I've missed a few observations and questions but I'm hoping this will start some conversation we can all learn from.

You have covered a lot of territory and hopefully some others will chime in with their experiences and fixes.  Best advice I can give is to take notes on each smoke - meat, rub, cook temp, ambient air temp, wood used and weight, start time, finish time, and anything else you feel important. If the smoke is a success, you can easily replicate it within reason.  If something went wrong, you can modify on the next smoke by adjusting what you did earlier.  Just start a fresh set of notes. You will get it dialed in.  And never worry about what others do.  What works for you and produces the results you like is what counts.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:35:14 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
I pretty much agree with old sarge's responses.  Some of the answers to your questions are meat specific.  I maintain that a butt done at 235 won't be dryer than one done at 225 and will be done "much" faster.  A thin set of ribs might be a different story but I also tend to think that even at a lower temperature, cooking twice as long provides more opportunity for the meat to dry out.  I think it is why we all tend to do it a little differently and do so because it works for us. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

volscrazy65

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »
I'm very new to all this Mark so keep that in mind.  I've smoked two butts so far, a twin pack from Sams. (Are those usually from the same pig?)  They were small, a little over 6 lbs each.  The first one was smoked at 225, pulled at 190.  It took 17 hours and the last two hours were bumped up to 235.  The second was smoked at 235, pulled at 190.  It took a little over 10 hours.  Both were very good and couldn't tell one was dryer than the other.  The only difference to me was the second one smoked at 235 was tougher than the one that smoked for 17 hours.  From now on, I think I'll keep it at 225.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

MTSmokin

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:21:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience/experiment. 

A couple of thoughts:
Did you let either of them rest before you pulled them?

Your comment about going to 235 the last few hours has me thinking about programming in a two step cook.
1) Cook at 225 until the internal temp is 140 to maximize smoke then
2) Raise the cook temperature to 235 until reaching pull temperature

Also you said you pull at 190.  I've read in many places that the recommended pull temp for pulled pork is 195.  My single experience showed that at 225 it can take a long time to get those last 5 degrees and that could be when the tenderizing takes place. 

Does anyone have experience with these ideas?
Mark in the northern BBQ desert

3D, Traeger, Weber gas & charcoal
In search of great BBQ without working all day or night to get there

volscrazy65

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 05:16:22 AM »
Both were wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for one hour.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200