Author Topic: Cold smoking - which device would you recommend?  (Read 5257 times)

Sum1

Cold smoking - which device would you recommend?
« on: April 28, 2017, 12:15:16 AM »
Hey all.

I'm looking to cold smoke, and I've seen online several items, including the Cold Smoke Plate, Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna, A-MAZE-N and some others, but have yet to figure out which is best for the #1.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks!
Zvi from Brooklyn

Limey

Re: Cold smoking - which device would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
I use Smoke Daddy Big Kahunas on both my SI#3s and am very pleased with them. They are not the cheapest solution but they work extremely well in my experience and they permit you to use whatever wood you want.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
I have thought about this as well.  With the Smoke Daffy, do you connect it the grease drain or is one required to do some drilling through the side wall?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 12:21:19 AM »
I have the cold smoke plate. Slide it in with the drip pan on top filled with ice. I use chips or thin shards I split off of my chunks. I then turn on the #1 full blast for 15 minutes, then OFF for 45 minutes. Repeat every hour. So it does require some babysitting in turning it on and off. The smoke chamber with the food stays below 100 degrees with this method. I'm not saying the cold smoke plate is the best choice, there might be a better choice, but it works just fine for me. If I did not have the cold smoke plate, I would probably look into the A-MAZE-N tube smoker. Others here have had good luck with them, but getting enough airflow might be an issue with those. I'm not sure how much heat the A-MAZE-N would give off, and since the box of the #1 is fairly small, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to keep the box temp below 100. The Smoke Daddy is pricey, and I wouldn't want to drill a hole in my smoker, but seems like it would work well since you wouldn't have a heat source directly within the box to contend with.

Here's some good info on the A-MAZE-N by someone who has great success with it.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6042.msg56274;topicseen#msg56274
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:27:49 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Limey

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:55:10 AM »
I drop the hose from the Smoke Daddy directly through the existing blow hole on the top of the smoker. I have tried using both a long hose to reach the bottom of the smoker and also a short hose just a few inches inside the smoker. The smoke is so cool that its natural direction seems to be downwards and it exits through the existing grease drain hole so now I just use a short hose. Using several frozen bottles of water I regularly cold smoke in temperatures in the mid to high eighties and the box temperature always stays below 90. No need to drill any holes.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:09:51 AM »
I use the Amazen Tube Smoker, but in larger smokers. I would say for sure in the #1 you would need to use either a 9X13 pan of ice or 2/3 2 liter bottles frozen to be safe. The tube smoker doesn't put off that much heat but with the warmer temps coming, virtually no cost of freezing water, it is best to be safe. Now I only cold smoke cheese, so I have no experience cold smoking anything other than that. You can use whatever your choice of pellets you want as well. Hope that helps
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Walt

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:13:33 AM »
Very pleased with the smoke daddy big kahuna. Roger's recommendation worked great for me. No drilling required. Been using if for a couple years now.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
I cold smoke with no plate or ice in my #3. I only cold smoke when the ambient temps are low, using chips not chunks.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Toyse

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »
I use the Amazen Tube Smoker in my #3.5D with the cold plate earlier this week to smoke some cheese ..
Removed the drip pan, wood box and placed the tube by the drain hole, latched only the top latch .
I will have to see how it does when the Texas weather gets to normal .. HOT :)

-Toyse

Sum1

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. You've been a big help.

It seems that the #1 won't have sufficient airflow for the A-MAZE-N, so I'm leaning towards the Big Kahuna.

Is it true that basically all cold smokers require babying? Say I wanted to cold smoke salmon for 12-18 hours, or even 24 hours. How do I do that, esp with the Big Kahuna?

Zvi from Brooklyn

Sum1

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »
Amazon offers on the Big Kahuna a "4 Year Asurion Home Improvement Extended Protection Plan" for $18. "Mechanical and electrical failures are covered after manufacturer warranty expires. If we can't fix it, we will issue you an Amazon Gift Card for full replacement value."

In your experience, is it worth getting?
Zvi from Brooklyn

Walt

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 12:05:21 AM »
No. Only thing that could die is a fish tank style aerator. Great unit. I love mine. Fill it with chips , light it with a torch, refill chips every couple hours. No MOD necessary for the SI. A couple of cord hooks & a piece of tubing is all that's needed for installation.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Limey

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »
+1 on Walt's comments.

Sum1

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
No. Only thing that could die is a fish tank style aerator. Great unit. I love mine. Fill it with chips , light it with a torch, refill chips every couple hours. No MOD necessary for the SI. A couple of cord hooks & a piece of tubing is all that's needed for installation.

Thanks!!
Zvi from Brooklyn