Author Topic: Dry Baby Back Rack Prevention  (Read 2582 times)

MTSmokin

Dry Baby Back Rack Prevention
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:10:36 AM »
Today I smoked some Costco baby back ribs.  They were big enough that I could only get two racks of ribs on each rack.  I put two on the top rack and one on the second rack.  I essentially followed the basic recipie, put rub on them the night before and started my 3D at noon with ~3 oz. of hickory and a mini loaf pan of water at 235F.  When I pulled them off at about 6:00 the bottom rack or ribs was dryer than the top the two.

So I was thinking...  Maybe I could add a "heat shield" such as a piece of foil on a lower rack to mix the air so the lower rack of ribs doesn't end up dryer than the top rack.

Has anyone tried this?  Does it work?  I hate to have to pull the lower rack early so that they all turn out moist.
Mark in the northern BBQ desert

3D, Traeger, Weber gas & charcoal
In search of great BBQ without working all day or night to get there

es1025

Re: Dry Baby Back Rack Prevention
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:39:37 AM »
My #3 has four slots for the racks, I typically go slot #2 for ribs.  Found out the hard way slot #1 drys out the ribs.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Buck

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
I used the 3-2-1 method yesterday for two racks of baby backs placed in shelves 2 and 3 out of 4.  1 bottom and 4 top shelf. Came out outstanding.

One crucial thing I also did was cook at 225F as the day before i got very dry overcooked ribs at 235F
Buck
Chicago, IL

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »
There are a few things I recommend:
Do not put the rub on the ribs until immediately before cooking, depending on the salt content the rib meat will leach out moisture wile they sit.
Continue to use the water pan and smoke the "No Peek" method to keep as much moisture as possible in the smoker.
If time allows smoke at a lower temp, 225 even 200 makes great ribs if you have the time to wait.
Do not try to add heat shields, I havent heard of any good results doing it in an SI.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
Try 3 2 1.  The "two" being wrap in foil with honey and brown sugar for two hours back in the can.  Smoke burn off will be done anyway after the 1st 3 hours   That should solve any dry problems.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »
Six hours at 235 might have been a bit long for baby backs, depending on the size. Usually 4.5 to 5 hours at 225 works well for me, then wrap in foil and rest for an hour or more.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
And in your scenario, the single bottom rack of ribs was your heat shield.  When cooking on more than one rack, try to put more mass on the bottom, it takes the brunt of the most heat.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah