Author Topic: Popped My Cherry  (Read 2723 times)

Buck

Popped My Cherry
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »
 ;D

Seasoned my new #1 last night and tonight threw on some Italian Sausage and Beef Short Ribs (Squares) for "my first time".

Sausage went 3 hours at 225F...absolutely PERFECT.  INCREDIBLE!

Short Ribs were only at 153F - 158F....way too chewy at this stage but good flavor...gonna give it two more hours and check texture again.

ROLLING
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:16:02 PM by Buck »
Buck
Chicago, IL

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Popped My Cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »
Buck, you will definitely need more time for the ribs but you are on your way! Great smokin'.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Buck

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:06 PM »
Need some advice...

Second day of smoking today (yesterday popped cherry and day before that was Seasoning Day):

I smoked one rack of baby backs that were dry rubbed with mustard base beforehand.  6.5 hours at 235F.  Nice peppery char but the ribs were VERY dry.  I also had a meatloaf foil tin filled 80% with apple juice in bottom of smoker.

smoked pork belly at same time which was not as bone dry but still on dry side.

Any suggestions?

Do i ned to foil with something wet to preserve moisture and finish smoking that way?

thanks
Buck
Chicago, IL

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:31:22 PM »
Welcome Buck to the forum. Baby backs at 235 for 6.5 hours seems to high and too long.  I do BBs at 225 and they are generally done in 5 hours. Sometimes a little sooner, sometimes a little later. And never dry. I start checking around 4 or 4 1/2 hours. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
Buck, use a water tray and place it next to the heating element box. 6.5 is way too long for BB ribs. Think 4.5 - 5. No worries, you'll get there.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
Buck, a water pan next to the wood box will help with pork ribs, pork belly and short ribs. Smoking different meats at the same time can be more challenging. Short ribs need low and slow, for many hours, similar to brisket. Pork ribs are a shorter cook. Pork belly varies depending on whether it is cured or not. This guide is a great resource for the beginning smoker.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide