Author Topic: This is a question for electrical enginers or electricians  (Read 2215 times)

BonaireBBQ

Ok so I live on an Island in the Caribbean "Bonaire". Our electricity is 127 volt 50 cycles "yes it a European thing". I can convert the 127 volt to 110 no problem but there is no good - easy way to change 50 cycle to 60 cycles that I know of. So the Big question is will I burn up anything running it on 110 volts 50 cycles? I am assuming the computer in the Auber runs on low voltage DC behind a transformer? If so that should not be a big problem if the transformer can handle 110 - 50. My other choice is 230 volts 50 cycles. In my experience over the last 27 years of living down here are somethings are fine with the 127-50 taken down to 110-50, the things that don't like it are mostly things with motors. Any help-guidance would be Greatly Appreciated! I guess I should add I am looking at D models.
Walt in Bonaire

EFGM

Re: This is a question for electrical enginers or electricians
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »
If no one can give you an answer here, I would put a call in to Auberin. Their tech guy is very sharp and if I was a betting man, I would say he will be able to answer your question. You can probably even email them from their website and get a quick response since your, how should I say it, very long distance.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »
Thanks Doug
Walt in Bonaire

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
Walt - you might be able to get the stand alone controller tweaked to 50 cycles at your voltage to work for you. It's innards are essentially the same as those in the 3D.   As Doug suggested, get in touch with the folks at Auberins.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=381

Good luck.  Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »
Walt, I doubt you will have a problem if the electronics are rated for 230 vac. You might also check that they have the equivalent of a UL rating for Europe. I forget what that is but it is pretty normal for manufacturers to do both.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
Thanks to all that responded. I have sent an email to Auber. I will post their response when I get one. Still guessing that the heating element should be fine?
Walt in Bonaire

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
I would think so..
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN