Author Topic: sweet tea pork brine  (Read 2504 times)

stout

sweet tea pork brine
« on: April 16, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »
i saw a recipe the other day.. it was almost straight sweet tea.. just a couple of tea or table spoons of salt and a little bit of other spices.. like a bay leaf..

has anyone ever tried this? i think next time i do i butt i'm going to try this.. sounds good

stout

Re: sweet tea pork brine
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
bought a nice 10.5 pound butt today

gonna try this with red diamond sweet tea.. nothing added to it but a couple table spoons of salt.. used about 3/4 of a gallon of tea

gonna probably put it to the smoke tomorrow early or tonight late

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
That is not enough salt to be a brine, you have a tea marinade not a brine. The meat cells will not suck in a brine unless the salt content is high enough.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

stout

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
That is not enough salt to be a brine, you have a tea marinade not a brine. The meat cells will not suck in a brine unless the salt content is high enough.

i was kinda thinking that
but some comments said how good it came out when they tried it so i'll give it a try... at worst it will be good

stout

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
i just a bit ago finally got the pork butt in to the smoker..decided to also inject it with the same stuff it was soaking in.. this is the first time i ever injected a butt.. so a few firsts on this one..

i figure at worst it will be good

stout

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »
the tea soaked pork butt came out good.. but there really doesn't seem to be any particular different flavor to it.. and it was also injected mind you.

while it is very good never the less .. a normally brined pork butt does come out juicer

i also think it shrank a bit more than brined ones i have done

next time we cook one my wife wants it to slicing temp not pulling.. i may try in between the two temps