Author Topic: Chicken Thigh Question  (Read 1688 times)

smokinwannabee

Chicken Thigh Question
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
Hello:  Looking to the experts as a bit baffled.  Have had my 3D for just over a year and am getting it dialed in pretty well.  Today, though got stumped.  Brined a bunch of thighs, and threw them in the smoker at 275 today.  Figured would take a couple of hours or so.  35 minutes the smoker was beeping, checked with my instant thermometer and sure enough internal temp was at 165 on multiple thighs.  Seems quite quick to me.  Ideas, feedback, concerns, etc?
Thanks, smokinwannabee
Jeff.  Colorado

stout

Re: Chicken Thigh Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »
i've never done just thighs ..i do quarters though and set it to 250.. i do them for 4 hours at that could probably take them out sooner.. but they are still juicy and delicious .. never checked them sooner cause i don't want to open the door and don't probe them.. sometime when i am hungry enough i will check them at a sooner time though  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:55:51 PM by stout »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
Remember, a chicken thigh is a six to 8 ounce piece of meat at best.  Your time would have translated to an hour to an hour and a half per pound at 275 degrees.  Many also believe that brining speeds up the cooking process.  I wouldn't sweat it and enjoy!

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

smokinwannabee

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »
Thanks for the input to both.  Ended up moist, smoky and delicious so guess it did what it's supposed to do.
Jeff.  Colorado