Author Topic: 1st smoke with my 3D, pork butt took forever  (Read 5773 times)

volscrazy65

1st smoke with my 3D, pork butt took forever
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:16:14 PM »
I started with a 6 lb butt from Sam's and used Divot's brine for 10 hrs.  I set my 3D to 225 and cut off at 195.  Fired it up at 7 am with 4 oz of hickory and 2 oz of cherry (Smokinlicious).  I used a pan of water and put the butt high in the smoker.  I was planning on maybe 12 hrs but it took 17.5 to reach 190 so I was pulling pork at like 2 in the morning!  I've read on here that smaller cuts take longer, no idea why, but that long?  It came out great, very good bark and moist.  The only complaint other than taking forever is there wasn't very much of a smoke taste, none on the deep meat.  Please advise.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

Glock_21

Re: 1st smoke with my 3D, pork butt took forever
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »

I discovered the same thing about smoke times when I received my #3.  I had a similar experience on my first smoke.  The pork was no where close to done when it was time to eat.  We ended up having burgers.  The smoke times seemed excessive.  I asked lots of questions.  I eventually realized that things just took longer in the #3.  17 - 19 hours for a pork butt is not uncommon for my #3.  I have just learned to plan accordingly.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

stout

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
i've done a few butts in my 3d smallest was 9 pounds largest was 12 they all worked out to right around and hour and forty minutes per pound

i am as far from an expert as you can get on the smokin-it but you're time seems really excessive for that size.. did you open the door during cooking at all?

RSNovi

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
9 lb butts at 225 degrees often take over 20 hours for me.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
Too small a butt.   If you have a butcher shop try asking for a 10+ lb one.

Figure the meat is done getting smoke at 3 hours into or 140 internal temp.   Its just the nature of the "can" we use.   

Heck, after 5 or 6 hours you might as well put in the oven or a crock pot!

As for smoke taste?  Maybe try a tad more wood or a thicker tasting wood.  Each has their own preference. 

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

volscrazy65

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:00:16 PM »
i've done a few butts in my 3d smallest was 9 pounds largest was 12 they all worked out to right around and hour and forty minutes per pound

i am as far from an expert as you can get on the smokin-it but you're time seems really excessive for that size.. did you open the door during cooking at all?

No, never opened the door.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

JustChillin

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:55:17 AM »
I cooked two butts a couple of weeks ago in my #2 at 225 and it took a little over 16 hours. They were 7 & 9 pounds. Patience is the key to success.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Joe C

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »
I did my first smoke last night on my 4D. I noticed that the PID controller was pulsing the element while the temperature was still far below the target. I don't remember the exact temp but I thought that it was really taking a long time to get up to temperature and the pulsing wasn't helping any. Perhaps the PID is trying too hard to avoid overshooting the target?
Joe in central New York
Model 4D, Pits and Spits offset smoker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
I did my first smoke last night on my 4D. I noticed that the PID controller was pulsing the element while the temperature was still far below the target. I don't remember the exact temp but I thought that it was really taking a long time to get up to temperature and the pulsing wasn't helping any. Perhaps the PID is trying too hard to avoid overshooting the target?
That is exactly right Joe.  The pulsing on my #4 starts about 40 degrees below target.  45 minutes to an hour is a standard start to set temp time for these smokers. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

ibbones

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »
John, glad your Butt turned out good.  I like to smoke a lot of Butts.  I now throw them into a brine which (I think) makes them cook faster but the biggest helper I do is I put them in the smoker about 11:00-12:00am the night before and let them smoke all night and into the next day.  Some are ready about 10:00am and some take until about 2:00-3:00pm.  It's really easy to keep them warm until supper time and no waiting for it to get ready.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

volscrazy65

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
John, glad your Butt turned out good.  I like to smoke a lot of Butts.  I now throw them into a brine which (I think) makes them cook faster but the biggest helper I do is I put them in the smoker about 11:00-12:00am the night before and let them smoke all night and into the next day.  Some are ready about 10:00am and some take until about 2:00-3:00pm.  It's really easy to keep them warm until supper time and no waiting for it to get ready.
Michael, maybe a silly question but how do you check the temps on multiple butts without opening the door?  Do you have something fancy with multiple probes?  I just have the one that came with my 3D.

John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

JustChillin

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »
John, I use an Auber an Auber 1200 pdh and a Thermoworks DOT for the second butt. It works well for me and they are pretty inexpensive..
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

stout

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
you could also set your smoker to 250 .. leave it empty .. hang your temp monitor through the hole so it is just there hanging around the middle of the cavity and see if it also reads 250, or close. just incase the pid is off a bit .. then you will know better how to adjust your cooking temps.

i know for example my house stove gets about 50 degrees hotter than you actually set it for so when we use it we adjust accordingly..

it is possible for a sensor to be off in one direction or another for plenty of reasons i'm sure

volscrazy65

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. :)
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

ibbones

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Michael, maybe a silly question but how do you check the temps on multiple butts without opening the door?  Do you have something fancy with multiple probes?  I just have the one that came with my 3D.

John, when I get one to the temp, or close to it, I open the door and have another thermometer to probe the other one.  They are usually very close to each other.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D