Author Topic: Brined ribs  (Read 2032 times)

Rockenburger

Brined ribs
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
I see that alot of thing get brined, but not ribs. Is there a reason, maybe to thin. I'm going to try a short brine           ( 2hour ) then pat dry cover with rub and let sit in overnight. See how it works
Tim, in Tillamook Oregon, SI #4D, weber porpane grill. seafood cooker and a old charcole grill, have used old barrel smokers.      Wife, twin boys, dog, cat and a bunch of rabbits

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Brined ribs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 11:25:35 PM »
Don't bother w a brine on ribs.   If you want to try it, cook another side by side w out brine and see if there is a difference.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Rockenburger

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »
Well, I found out why you don't brine ribs. Because you don't need to. Did 2 slabs one was brined one was not and the only thing that was differnt was the one that was brined was a little salty. They ate just fine no need to waste time with that again.
Tim, in Tillamook Oregon, SI #4D, weber porpane grill. seafood cooker and a old charcole grill, have used old barrel smokers.      Wife, twin boys, dog, cat and a bunch of rabbits

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
Last weekend, I smoked about 16 pounds of baby back ribs.  I have used my own tried and true rib rubs for the better part of 30 years.  However, I decided to do these ribs using Meathead's Memphis rib dust.  He doesn't put salt in his Memphis rib dust.  What he does is sprinkle the equivalent of 1/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt per pound of ribs.  Then wraps the ribs in saran wrap and leaves them in the fridge for 12 hours.  So, for my 16 pounds I measured out four teaspoons of Kosher salt and put into an empty salt shaker and did my best to do an even coverage of salt on the ribs.

After I took them out of the fridge I removed the saran wrap and washed the salt off of the surface of the ribs.  Then I gave the ribs a good dose of the Memphis rib dust.  I covered the ribs so that I covered all the meat, both sides.  Didn't use any binder as I let the wet ribs dusted with the Memphis rib dust dry for a few minutes before I put them in the smoker.

Smoked them for about 5 and 1/2 hours and they turned out with a really good bark and to my idea of being done.  I try to get my ribs done to the point that when I put a fork under the middle of the rack and when I life the rack up they ribs will crack in the middle, but not quite break.

Here is a link to Meatheads recipe and how he handles the salt issue.  http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

These ribs were very tasty.

I used about four ounces of sugar maple and two to three ounces of hickory.  I have only had this #3 for about 6 weeks, but have put lots of meat through it.  I never get a good smoke flavor out of this smoker.  But, in spite of that, these were really good ribs.  Now, I also smoked some wild King salmon filet.  I use the sugar hickory on salmon and I do get a good smoked flavor with the salmon.  I think the difference is that the salmon gets to the 140 IT within 60 to 70 minutes at 170 whereas the ribs are in the smoker for a much longer time.
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!