Author Topic: 1st Smoke...Keep your fingers crossed!!!  (Read 3993 times)

Chrissy

1st Smoke...Keep your fingers crossed!!!
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »
Hello everyone!  I just "cooked" Divot's Brine to put my 2 Boston Butts in for tomorrow's first cook in The Little Guy.  I ask to keep fingers crossed not so much for the SI but to make sure I don't do anything wrong.   :-\  Looking forward to having some delicious pulled pork. 

I do have one question.  After the different readings that I have done I want to make sure I place them correctly in the little guy.  My thought is to put them as close to the top as possible (more stable air) but IF I can - should I put them on the same rack or stagger them on different racks?  And of course have the water pan next to the wood box after I foil the bottom of SI and the top of the wood box, right?  (ok, 2 questions)

Thanks in advance for any pointers.  (Sorry for the glare on the picture...I'll get better at that!)
--Chrissy, wife, mother, educator, and therapist - soon to be awesome smoker!
"Stop wearing your wishbone where your back bone ought to be." - Elizabeth Gilbert

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: 1st Smoke...Keep your fingers crossed!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Don't forget the drain hole in the foil...  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Chrissy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
Oh my gosh!  I wasn't even thinking about that!  Thank you.....I'm not going to sleep tonight......
"Stop wearing your wishbone where your back bone ought to be." - Elizabeth Gilbert

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »
Ha! I'm four months in to smoking with my 3D and I still forget to poke the drain hole! I didn't today but last smoke I did!

From my reading if you can fit the items on the one shelf, that's the way to go. But otherwise just get them in how you can and let the smoker do it's magic! More meat to the top so heat can get to it without obstruction.

Enjoy the first cook and meal!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Chrissy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 10:25:16 PM »
Thanks Jeremy...I decided I might have a little piece of mind if I put all the foil down tonight - and punch the hole.  This way all I have to do is rinse the brine, mustard and rub.  I first bought some of Famous Dave's rub, but then went to another store and found Salt Lick rub.  Anyone from Texas, who goes anywhere near Austin, needs to go to Salt Lick....pretty awesome place.  I haven't decided which rub to use.

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 11:36:01 PM »
Good luck Chrissy! Let us know how everything goes
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Chrissy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
They're in. About 40 mins into the smoke I got nervous that I put too much wood in. I opened the box and took a piece out. I know it will add time but I didn't want it over smoked to where we couldn't eat it.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
How much wood did you use, and how big are the butts? If you don't have one, an electronic kitchen scale is pretty cheap (~$25) and very useful. Most of us use one to weigh our wood. Look for them at Bed Bath and Beyond or on Amazon.

Also, I have two pork tenderloins in my smoker right now, and each has a different rub on it. That way, I get to decide which I like better.  I just stick a toothpick in one so I can tell which is which rub when they come out (assuming I remember which rub got 'picked  ::) ).

Let us know how they turn out.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Chrissy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
I did not weight, but will get a scale soon.  Thanks for that reminder.  I just used two blocks from what I received with The Little Guy.  They are done, wrapped, and resting in the cooler.  Here is what they looked like coming out. They took 9 (6 lbs) and 9.5 (7 lbs).  Pics below.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »
Chrissy, they look great. Can't wait to hear about the taste test...  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Chrissy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
The verdict is in...5 stars from the hubby.  He wanted to give it 4.5 but when he took his last bite he said he had to give it a 5!  The pictures don't look as moist as the meat truly was...it was great! Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement.  About 1/2 hour ago I put a 10 lb pork loin (cut in half) in the brine for tomorrow.  Looking forward to our next meal! :D

Moscowbni

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 06:55:04 AM »
You are off to a wonderful start.  Congratulations on your first smoke, looks fantastic.  Keep the pictures coming.  We love pictures here!
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
Those look good, get some of the vinegar sauce in that pork.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Chrissy

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 06:24:36 AM »
Vinegar sauce?