Author Topic: Dog-proof the grease pan  (Read 6241 times)

balexander667

Dog-proof the grease pan
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
My #3 came thursday, seasoned it that night, made a rack of spare ribs saturday and after dinner I put 20lbs of boston butt in to go for about 20hrs for dinner sunday.  Thing works like a charm.  I experienced the temp swings, but I've researched well enough to know the temp is averaging out and besides, all the meat was delicious so who cares. 

The one problem I ran in to: sunday afternoon I pulled the smoker out of the garage (it's detached so i often just let the smoker run in there with the door shut :)).  A couple hours later my 22lb beagle threw up this red mess that smelled like a camp fire....Turns out, he found the grease tray.

Anyone have any tips for securing the grease tray or should I just make sure it's well out of reach?  I don't think the cart would be tall enough.

PS: Meat picks attached.

ibbones

Re: Dog-proof the grease pan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »
Welcome from South Texas.  I also have a dog that LOVES to sniff around looking for even a drip from the meat taken into the house on a pan.  Let me know when you find a way to stop the dogs from getting into the grease pan.  Mine will even try to pull it out while the smoker is on to lap up the goodness.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:01:49 PM »
Just in case your pup hasn't learned a lesson, you could drill a hole in the outside drip rail and drop a small nail thru it to block the tray from being removed. A small C clamp might work as well.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

balexander667

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
Just in case your pup hasn't learned a lesson, you could drill a hole in the outside drip rail and drop a small nail thru it to block the tray from being removed. A small C clamp might work as well.

Holy Crap you're a genius!

also; ibbones:  my beagle pulled the tray out, it was laying about 3 feet in front of the smoker when i found it. :)

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
"Experienced"
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:23:55 PM »
My son's family have 2 small dogs: a Dachshund and a Maltese. We have 2 large dogs. We are dog sitting for a few days when I decide it is brisket time.  Four dogs total. Put the meat on around midnight. The brisket smoked throughout the nite. Turned out great. Pulled it and wrapped it and grabbed the grease tray to clean. Lunch time and only 3 dogs present.  The Maltese is missing.  My first thought is that a hawk got the little white 9 pounder, thinking it was a rabbit. Through the house I looked then the yard.  No dog. Went to close the door on the smoker and there she was.  Her tail wagging and barely visible.  She had crawled into the smoker and was pre-cleaning the rack and cleaning up drippings off the foil. And no longer white.  Quite a sight.  Lesson learned?  The smoker can cool off with the door closed and latched just fine.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

stout

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:06:12 PM »
keeping a beagle out of trouble

this has been a challenge to mankind since dogs first became man's best friend

Rich B

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »
Oh you MUST post pics of that one!!!!!  That is hilarious, probably not so funny at the time but seriously, inside the smoker cleaning up?

My son's family have 2 small dogs: a Dachshund and a Maltese. We have 2 large dogs. We are dog sitting for a few days when I decide it is brisket time.  Four dogs total. Put the meat on around midnight. The brisket smoked throughout the nite. Turned out great. Pulled it and wrapped it and grabbed the grease tray to clean. Lunch time and only 3 dogs present.  The Maltese is missing.  My first thought is that a hawk got the little white 9 pounder, thinking it was a rabbit. Through the house I looked then the yard.  No dog. Went to close the door on the smoker and there she was.  Her tail wagging and barely visible.  She had crawled into the smoker and was pre-cleaning the rack and cleaning up drippings off the foil. And no longer white.  Quite a sight.  Lesson learned?  The smoker can cool off with the door closed and latched just fine.
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
I should have taken a photo but I had my hands full with a greasy and smiley ball of fur. And I am not much of a picture taker. But the pup likes baths so it was not as difficult as I first imagined.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

balexander667

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »
I should have taken a photo but I had my hands full with a greasy and smiley ball of fur. And I am not much of a picture taker. But the pup likes baths so it was not as difficult as I first imagined.

Geeze, i can imagine.  Our poor dumb beagle smelled like that inside of my smoker for the reset of the weekend and slept like a baby that night :)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
Probably wouldn't want smokey bone; bring back a bad experience.  Then again..............
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Nimrod

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 08:41:48 PM »
My dog "Jack" is wondering why I'm looking at him right now and laughing but great tips on securing the drip pan.

I havent had any problem with the dog getting into it (yet?) but I think its because the fire ants like it so well and keep him smoked off?
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
Welcome to the club!!

Easiest way to keep the dog from getting the grease pan?  Remove it, clean it and keep it in the house.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

balexander667

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »
Welcome to the club!!

Easiest way to keep the dog from getting the grease pan?  Remove it, clean it and keep it in the house.

This happened during a 20 hour smoke :)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
Welcome to the club!!

This happened during a 20 hour smoke :)

Ha!  Missed that!  I thought it was after the smoke.... :-[   
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!