Author Topic: Best Recipes for a new guy  (Read 2963 times)

jeremyje

Best Recipes for a new guy
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
Hey All,

I couldn't sleep last night, so naturally I went online and started looking at smoker's. A buddy of mine just bought a masterbuilt that he has been bragging about and posting pictures of his meat on facebook so of course I had to out do him! ;) I read several of the masterbuilt reviews and it just didn't seem like a quality product, although his meat does look good, everyone says it finds a way to break in about a year. If I was going to spend more than $300 I figured it was worth it to spend more and go with the Smokin-it Model #2D. I really like the idea of a digital controller and this is big enough to feed a good size group.

I just clicked the order button about 5-10 minutes ago, so now I have to prepare for my first smoke. I am having an NCAA tournament watch party with a few of my buddies, maybe 10-15 people at the most, and I wanted to do 2 butts and a brisket on that day (I have 2 weeks to prepare for this ;)).

So I figured I needed to do a butt as my first smoke since everyone has said it's the most forgiving, and I am interested in seeing the most foolproof recipes for both brisket and butt. I'll do the butt the day after I season my smoker most likely, and then a brisket before the big day to practice, but after that, I've got one shot at feeding 10-15 people, so it'll be a fun one! If anyone has any good recipes for doing both at the same time? Tips and Tricks regarding placement? When to put in each piece? (I'm sure that depends on weight). Basically, I'm looking to the experts to help me out in anyway so we can make sure we get good results!

Thanks!

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
Re: Best Recipes for a new guy
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
 Jeremy,,,,, First off welcome to the forum. I would suggest checking out this site for some good info    http://amazingribs.com
You may also want to check out Aaron Franklins videos on you tube about smoking / prep. Both Aaron s and Meatheads books are a very good source of info with great recipes and advice.
A lot of great folks on here with all kinds of advice willing to help in many ways. 
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »
Jeremy, I may have misunderstood your intentions but there is no way you are going to be able to smoke 2 butts and one brisket at the same time in a #2. There simply is not enough room to fit 2 butts and a brisket. You are are going to have to do it it 2 different smokes.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
Welcome Jeremy from SE Arizona.   
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jeremyje

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:36:19 PM »
Thanks for the help and Welcomes everyone!

As far as size goes, I have only looked at pictures, so maybe I misjudged the size of this thing. But that's OK.

Do you think it'd be possible to do a single butt, a brisket and a couple of half racks of BB ribs? If so, how would you go about the placement?

I'm thinking butt on bottom, then brisket in middle, then ribs on top? I have noticed on the main page that the amount of wood is 6 oz for brisket and butt, but only 3 oz for ribs, do you think this will make that much of a difference if I put the ribs all the way at the top? There's also a temperature difference, so I'm not sure how well that would go.

Finally, would you start everything at once and pull as they finish? Or start the butt first, then add the brisket and finally the ribs? I'm leaning towards the latter since the ribs should only take 4-5 hours.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 11:58:42 PM »
If you can fit everything (racks are 14 1/2 inches square), by all means do so and pull as they finish.  As for the amount of wood:  6 ounces is a lot of smoke and may be overkill for the ribs while 3 ounces may be too little for the larger cuts.  It is all a matter of taste.  In any event, as items reach your desired doneness, just double wrap in heavy foil, then a heavy towel, and stuff it in a good cooler.  Should stay hot for a few hours. Alternately, you could this in stages, pulling, wrapping (double layers of foil) and refrigerate a day or so in advance and reheat in a low oven (still wrapped) or  unwrapped, juices and all, in a crockpot the day of the event. Ribs could be done early on the day of the event.  The 2 will hold a lot of food and will serve you well.  You just need to plan out the sequence of events and you will be fine.  And lastly, if you think you have misjudged the size of the 2D, give Steve a call in the morning.  I am sure he would gladly get you into a 3D ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:06:54 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Walt

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
Generally, I plan for 1/2lb of meat per person. 1 8lb + butt or a nice packer brisket would probably suffice. If you do both, and more, you will have mucho leftovers. Thats not a bad thing if you have a vac sealer or intend to have to-go bags for your guests. You may want to rethink quantities for that # of guests. A single butt + a brisket is very doable in the 2. Butt on bottom & brisket on top would be my suggestion & I would brine them both. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill