Author Topic: Chicken DrumSticks at 325?  (Read 3340 times)

gunman9

Chicken DrumSticks at 325?
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:59:48 PM »
I have a 3D and some drumsticks (the words of an addict lol) so was wondering if anyone has smoked drumsticks at 325? Get the smoke and the Skin crispy at the same time?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken DrumSticks at 325?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:45 PM »
I haven't but it's worth a shot!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Give it a shot! Just remember to report in.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
When smoking chicken I usually set the controller for 375 or greater and wait for the temp to get above 200. I then open it up & slide the wood box in as well as the chicken. This helps the skin texture. It also helps if you let the chicken sit on a wire rack, after brineing, in your fridge for 4 or so hours. One other technique I use, is to include the jerky dryer in you cook. These three techniques combined give good results. Hope this helps.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gunman9

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
i thought the 3D only went to 325?

Walt

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
I have a bypassed unit. Useing the auber I have cooked @ 400+ with no problems. When cooking chicken, the units come up to temperature too slowly to get crispy skin. By putting the chicken in later in the process it helps. Also, many complain about rubbery skin. If you dont use the higher temp cook in the SI you can reverse sear in oven or remove skin after cook & place on a pizza stone & broil. Salty, crispy, seasoned goodness that goes great as a salad topping, like a crouton.

Many here dont bother. I dont get that. Its common to reverse sear here but taboo for many with chicken.......
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gunman9

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:46:51 AM »
I have a bypassed unit. Useing the auber I have cooked @ 400+ with no problems. When cooking chicken, the units come up to temperature too slowly to get crispy skin. By putting the chicken in later in the process it helps. Also, many complain about rubbery skin. If you dont use the higher temp cook in the SI you can reverse sear in oven or remove skin after cook & place on a pizza stone & broil. Salty, crispy, seasoned goodness that goes great as a salad topping, like a crouton.

Many here dont bother. I dont get that. Its common to reverse sear here but taboo for many with chicken.......

I did something similar to that! I cooked the chicken till 180 IT, then moved them to the Camp Chef Griddle which was preheated and seared them on that, then back in the smoker for 10 min to let the BBQ Sauce glaze. BEST CHICKEN IV EVER MADE!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:49:27 AM by gunman9 »