Author Topic: Considering an Auber .... a few questions  (Read 4026 times)

Elliottbte

Considering an Auber .... a few questions
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:12:16 PM »
I have an SI#2 after having had an SI#1.  It seems to me that I get greater swings in temp with the #2, and while I understand that this shouldn't be an issue, I'm considering an auber to provide a stable temperature and some peace of mind.

Couple questions:
1. Auber has both single probe (WS-1211GPH) and dual probe (WSD-1200GPH) models.  It seems everyone gets the dual probe, but if I only want to manage the smoker temperature and use my maverick to monitor multiple pieces of meat, why get the dual?  I do my smoking at night and the last thing I want is the smoker shutting down while I sleep due to a program based on temp with a probe placement issue causing a premature high temp signal.  I know the dual probe unit is just $25 more, but just not sure I need it.
2. There's lots of talk about bypass switches.  If I got it right, the benefit of bypass is the ability to go higher than 250F, correct?  Any other reason?
3. I would go with the permanent probe.  I've seen instructions for installation both below top shelf and 1" below very top.  What is the latest consensus opinion?
4. When smoking, I should not have the auber sitting on top of the smoker, correct?

Any other insightful comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Brad
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

JustChillin

Re: Considering an Auber .... a few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
I have a #2 and had the same dilemma. I decided to get the two probe model WSD-1200GPH and am very pleased. It solved my temp swing problems and makes smoking a real pleasure.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:03:39 PM by JustChillin »
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »
1) the life of a SI is a long time. Don't kick yourself when something changes in your needs. In the meantime, program the Auber for time smokes.

2) closely connected to the higher temp benefit is the fighting of the 2 controllers. Bypass switch separates the two and no arguing for dominance.

3) 1" from the top is still preferred.

4) sitting on top in Winter is not an issue but in hot summer, no. Speaking of my own experience, the Auber hates being left outside overnight in freezing conditions for an early morning smoke.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Elliottbte

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »
1) the life of a SI is a long time. Don't kick yourself when something changes in your needs. In the meantime, program the Auber for time smokes.

2) closely connected to the higher temp benefit is the fighting of the 2 controllers. Bypass switch separates the two and no arguing for dominance.

3) 1" from the top is still preferred.

4) sitting on top in Winter is not an issue but in hot summer, no. Speaking of my own experience, the Auber hates being left outside overnight in freezing conditions for an early morning smoke.
Thanks for the reply
1. Good point.  $25 over a long period is nothing really
2. I wondered a bit about this.  I guess the argueing happens when setting the auber at the high end of the SI thermostat (250F).  Not sure there is an issue if using 225F on auber with the SI at 250F.  I'll have to look more closely at how challenging the bypass installation is. 
3. Thanks
4. Is it the controller itself that doesn't like cold or the probes only?  I've read somewhere about warming the probes.  Does the bypass arrangement prevent me from just using the SI on its own, without auber control?  Maybe I just use the SI control when doing a smoke when very cold out.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:42:50 AM »
I have a #2 and had the same dilemma. I decided to get the two probe model WSD-1200GPH and am very pleased. It solved my temp swing problems and makes smoking a real pleasure.

Thanks ... ever have an issue with the auber shutting down early due to a false high meat temperature reading due to probe placement or failure?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

JustChillin

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:15:13 AM »
I only got my smoker and Auber in January. I have not had a problem and I have confirmed readings using a Thermoworks "DOT"  for both ambient & IT temps. It has always appeared to be spot on. Since I have a short history of using the SI & Auber, maybe some long time advocates share their experiences.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
Electronics and cold don't play well together.  I have woke up in the middle of the night to pee and found the Auber flashing.  If I re-boot it, it seems to be okay but have since started using time for overnight smokes and switching to temp in the morning.

Bypass switch is an on-off-on switch.  One of the "on" is specifically for the Auber and the other "on" specifically for the SI. 

Elliottbte

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Does an auber help prevent wood catching fire and the dreaded belch?  I know that good wood is the start, but I'm thinking a program with lower temp to warm the wood, followed by the more controlled rise up to temp without overshooting by 20 degrees must be a help too.  Thoughts?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 10:59:05 AM »
Brad, some do use "ramp up" to control combustion but you don't need the Auber to do that. It just requires coming back out an hour later and turning the dial up.