Author Topic: Brand new to electric smokers.  (Read 5807 times)

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
Brand new to electric smokers.
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »
I'm an old guy.  I started out smoking turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas gifts for family and neighbors.  I found an old stainless steel freezer in a city trash dump.  Loaded it up and took it home.  I dug a hole to bury a 55 gallon drum and plumbed it for air and propane.  I cut a hole in the bottom of the freezer and also in the top for a damper.  I plumbed the drum so the smoke would come into the freezer from the bottom and used the damper to control temperature.  I used it for years and could smoke lots of turkey in it.  Later in life I began using off-set smokers to smoke ribs, brisket, chicken and about anything that taste good from Hickory smoke.  Over the years I have smoked in about every contraption possible.

I've been thinking of switching over to electric smokers.  Have done enough research to know that I don't want a Masterbuilt or a Bradley.  When I found the Smokin-it I thought that I had found what I was looking for.  My goal was to find something simple.  At this stage in my life I am thinking I don't want anything bigger than the #3.  The 22" by 15" by 20" is big enough for what I think I want to do.

I don't think I want to deal with the digital business as I'm not sure that the added cost is justified compared to the likelihood of equipment failure etc.

Anyway, I have been reading some of the topics in the #3 and #3D forum.  From reading the information from the manufactures it sounded like you put in your meat and wood, turn on the temperature and walk away for a few hours and viola your ribs are done.  However, after reading this forum for a few hours I'm thinking that isn't the case.  There are more threads there about issues with temperature problems than I am sure I really want to have to deal with. 

So, I guess I need some pointers towards some threads that can help me figure out how one goes about managing the temperatures in the #3s.  I have always smoked babybacks at 225 degrees for five hours to get them to the point where I put a knife in the middle of the rack and when I lift them up they crack in the middle.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that this is the right product or any more efficient than my current off-set smoker.

Any thoughts?
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Brand new to electric smokers.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »
Welcome Wehill!  I was new not just to electric smokers, but smoking generally until last November when I bought my #2.  I'm going to share my experiences and opinions.  I'm sure others will weigh in, too.

I typically open the door on my smoker twice when doing a smoke...  once to put the product to be smoked in and once to take it out.  My friend who owns a #1 and pointed me in this direction when I told him I wanted to get a smoker made it clear that one of the biggest sins to be committed with this smoker is to open the door.  Every time you open the door just tack on another 30 minutes and accept that you may have decreased the quality of whatever you're smoking.

I got the analog #2 and not the digital 2D because I also wanted to keep it simple and because I wasn't sure it was worth the cost.  Today I have absolutely no trouble saying this was the perfect choice for me.  I set the temperature and know that magic will just happen.  I don't worry that it'll shut off unexpectedly in the middle of the night while I sleep.  (I throw butts and packers in when I go to bed.)  I don't worry that the temperature will be wonky for some reason.  It just works.  You didn't ask, but this brings up the second big sin...  set the temperature and just trust it - don't try to use a probe to measure the box temp.  You'll stress yourself out for no good reason at all.  There are temperature swings, but over the course of the entire smoke it all works out and simply doesn't need to be micro-managed or even measured.

So... where do the posts come from where people are putting in more effort?  Some people like to be more hands on and/or like to experiment.  I personally don't think this is probably the correct smoker for them...  the SI is a set it and forget it smoker.  When I talk to friends and they say they want to get into smoking I always ask them if they want to get into smoking because of the art and process or because they want a super-easy, no-frills way of producing their own smoked foods.  If they say its the process then I tell them to move on.  If they want what is frequently called Lazy-Q here on the forums, then the SI is perfect.

I've only been smoking for 3 months as suggested at the start of this post.  I've done Turkey, Boston Butts, Packers, nuts, ribs, pork loin, salmon, cod, and chicken wings.  It all comes out beautifully and with no effort at all on the smoker side.  My largest effort comes in prep... thawing, brining, trimming, rubbing, etc.  The smoking part is as easy as my kitchen oven.  If I can have this success with so little experience, someone who has been around the block a few times shouldn't have any trouble at all.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:29:20 AM »
Wehill.... welcome to the forum. I have not been on here as long as some, but what I can tell you is that you will find that folks have different levels of interests as far as there process goes. Some are set it and forget it and others are at the opposite end of the spectrum. The common ground is the end result.
Many on here have posted great results with setting temp and waiting for an internal temp.I believe you will find exactly what your looking for with the #3. Plenty of info and good folks on here!   All the best to you. 
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »
I bought the #2 (not the #2D) in January because I preferred the cost and size for my use. I also like things simple. My first two smokes were ribs and salmon. They both came out perfect. I gave in and bought the Auber 1200 prior to the Super Bowl and used it for a packer brisket. It also turned out perfect but I am not sure that the PID was needed. Just understand that I do love my new smoker and the ease of use. Good luck with your decision.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
Cant go wrong keeping things simple.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

ibbones

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
From reading the information from the manufactures it sounded like you put in your meat and wood, turn on the temperature and walk away for a few hours and viola your ribs are done. 
Wehill, welcome.
Yes, that is pretty much right.  I have only had the Smokin-it for just under a year but had the "other" brand for many years.  I know I will never buy another one of those.
I really enjoy the 3D but the only reason I have the digital control is I am a tech junkie.  I have smoked just about everything but a whole pig head.  Every time, I prep my meat (or nuts, pretzels...), set the temp and walk away.  It cannot get any easier.  OK, I do have to take the cover off, roll it out of the garage into the driveway and reach down to get the plug, but thats about it.
You cannot go wrong and you WILL like using it.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

drains

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »
We measure our wood in ounces, that's how efficient these smokers are. Prep the meat, add wood to the wood box, put the meat in, shut the door, set the temp and go do something else. You will want to put foil on the top of the wood box and on the floor to make cleanup a snap. I use a maverick brand temp probe to keep up with internal temp as we cook by temp. You really  can't go wrong, just read the reviews.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »
Lots of great advice and feedback here already, so I will say one of the best reasons to get a Smokin-It smoker is this forum community. I belong and have belonged to a variety of product and topic related forums over the years, and without question this is the most helpful, family oriented, amusing, and thought-provoking forum that I have ever belonged to. I have learned so much about smoking as well as other styles of cooking (see the Charcuterie and Sous Vide sections).

As far as the smoker goes, if you intend on smoking a fair amount of low temp smokes that require tight temp control like fish and jerky, or are one that is going to fret over 20-30 degree completely normal temp swings for an analog controller, you're going to want to go with a D model. But, if you are looking for a cheaper, less frills, but just plain works type of smoker, the analog models will work just fine. Don't get me wrong. I have made and will continue to make some damn good fish and jerky in my analog #3 smoker. But, these type of smokes (if you are going to do a lot of them) appreciate a tighter control on the box temp, because if the temp gets up too high it could start cooking jerky instead of slowing drying/smoking it. The same goes with fish, where if the temp gets too high for too long some of the essential fats can start to cook out a bit.

If you would ask some stick burner folks what they thought about a 20-30 degree temp swings, most would probably tell you that they wish that they could keep their temp swings in that range. :)

Heck, even if you don't get a Smokin-It smoker, this is a great forum to contribute and learn all kinds of new things. Eventually, we'd probably wear you down and you'll get a Smokin-It smoker anyhow. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
we hill - Welcome from SE Arizona. I used an offset for a great many years. Maintaining an average temperature for what I cooked involved controlling air flow and feeding wood or charcoal when the temp dropped low.  There was the inevitable spike in the temp as a fresh load of wood or charcoal caught and the temp would exceed my desired temp.  I am sure you are familiar with this.  The analog electric will also have temp swings in the 25 degree range high and low as it cycles on and off. While I have the 3D, my brother has the 3 and the swings do not bother him and he gets great Q just as I do. The folks with temperature problems are not that numerous considering all the smokers out there.  Some have been handled under warranty; some have simply been not understanding the temp swings, and the customer generally stayed with the forum and all is well.  And at the risk of sounding critical, there have been a couple of cases of what I call sour grapes. Just my opinion.

I would say buy with confidence. These are great smokers. And SI has the best customer service.  But, if as you say  "Anyway, I'm not convinced that this is the right product or any more efficient than my current off-set smoker" then go with your gut feeling. I had my doubts in 2012 but took a leap of faith and was glad of it. No more babysitting heat and food.  Keep reading and if you have some specific question or concern, give a shout. There is a lot of help and advice here.   And good luck. Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 09:19:10 PM »
I have an "analog" 2.   After a few smokes or cooks you will get it right and tasty.   Lately, mine is a pork machine, ribs and butts.   Its a good built machine and it will fit the needs of not babysitting wood and pits.   

The sealed door makes it more efficient than any wood pit and keeps everything happy inside.    Temp swings are no more/less than a regular kitchen oven.

Price a pit, gator or yoder...........wood fired, vs that of a 2 or 3 SI and you have to give the SI a shot.

I might be corrected, but go w the analog, you can always upgrade to D later.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

wehill

• Walt
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Ok.  Your collective comments give me the confidence to make the leap.  I think I let reading the comments of those using the #3D confused me.  I am well used to the temperature swings from the off-set charcoal/wood fired smokers.  In all my years of smoking I don't think I ever ruined any meat with temperature swings.  I probably didn't explain my concerns very well.  I was worried more about equipment failures/malfunctions which is what I was reading relative to the #3D etc.  Now I get it.

As I said in my first post, I have smoked using all kinds of smokers.  One of my favorites was an extra large old grill.  For many years, I used bricks to offset one side of it to create indirect heat and smoke.  I owned one of the pellet grills for a few years.  One thing I learned a long time ago, is that "patience" is the key to smoking, not so much what you are using to smoke. 

You have convinced me. 

Thanks, for all the replies.  I look forward to yet another experience with a new smoking technique.

Walt
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
Welcome aboard!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
Ok.  Your collective comments give me the confidence to make the leap. 

Glad to hear it was helpful and that you'll be joining the family!  In the remote chance that you don't have a thermometer, you'll probably want to go ahead and pick one up.  It's pretty much the only way to know that a brisket, butt, etc. is done without opening the door.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
Welcome to the family, you are in the right place!  I have been smoking with a #2 for 4 years now and the family and neighbors love the product.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

wehill

• Walt
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
Just ordered the #3 tonight.  Can't wait!
Walt
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!