Author Topic: Rib Hooks  (Read 3331 times)

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
Rib Hooks
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Has anyone used them? Any benefits to using them?  Thanks!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Rib Hooks
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:00:53 AM »
I received them free with my smoker, which is funny because it's not even really possible to hang ribs in a #1. ;D ;D Needless to say I have never used them. No one else here uses them as far as I know. I see no real advantage to hanging ribs. It is supposed to be more efficient for space, but I don't think it is. Ribs smoke great bone side down, flat on a rack. If you want to get more ribs in, you are better off purchasing the optional side rail assembly that adds more shelves, and purchase some extra racks. I'm still trying to come up with some other use for for my rib hooks.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Meatball

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:50:36 AM »
Thanks for the info!!!!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

RG

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:18:00 AM »
I've not hung ribs in my #3 but I have cooked ribs that way before. It was in my Pit Barrel Cooker (which I no longer own). The problem was when they got tender, they would fall off the hook! Not good when you have a pile of charcoal below :P
Jason from Conyers GA

Meatball

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 05:56:05 AM »
RG...  good point!!!!!!!!!  TY!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 03:03:05 PM »
They might be useful if you have a #4 smoker. That would be the only smoker where I could see them as useful.

Even then, I think I prefer to let my ribs lay flat and have the juices rest on top of the meat keeping it moist. Whereas if they were hanging, more of of the moisture would drip off of the ribs down to the floor of the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:00:08 PM »
Lay ribs flat on the racks, bone-side down.  IMO, no other way to smoke them!  This does 2 critical things:  First, it shields the meat from the heat source below.  Secondly, the fat rendering in the meat stays in the meat!  If you hang them, or lay them on their sides (in a rib rack), the fat drips off.  Instead of keeping that wonderful rib meat moist, it ends up in the drip pan...what a waste of good pork fat!  :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!