Author Topic: #1 or #2  (Read 3498 times)

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
#1 or #2
« on: January 29, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
Trying to decide on the purchase of a #1 or #2 model. Is size the only difference ? Appreciate the info and thanks!!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: #1 or #2
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
Bobby - Welcome to the forum. The #1 has a 400 watt element and the #2 has an 800 watt element. The elements are sized for the smoker and the capacity they can handle. My advice, and it mirrors the advice from others on the forum is to get the largest smoker you can afford as you can always cook less than the stated capacity in a large smoker but cannot cook more in a smaller smoker. Balance that with how large a group you will be smoking for (family only or large get togethers) as well as your budget.  Just be assured you are buying the best smoker at the best price and enjoy. Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SmokedGouda

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
I have a #2 and love it. But bigger would always be better!
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
I have a #2 for a family of four and it works perfectly.  I also smoke for neighborhood parties and the #2 does the trick.  The question is how much meat do you need to smoke at any one point in time.   If the budget allows, it is always better to go bigger.   You can always smoke less meat in a #2,  but you can't smoke more meat in a #1.  So, if the budget can handled it, go with the #2.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Meatball

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »
#2 it will be... lol    Thanks for all the input. This is an excellent site!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

BobM

• H.H. The Bahbi Lama
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
I Have the # 1 and it's been big enough for us.  But the kids are gone so it's only the two of us.  Some people stated bigger is better but bigger also uses more energy.  That's one of the reason I got the #1.  Yesterday I did a whole rack of spare ribs which required two trays and 7 hours.  The other thing about the #1 it's easy to carry.  For me that was great because I moved it to the far corner of my house away from the windows.

You should buy the size that is required to smoke the amount you want.
-Bob from Huntington Beach CA
 Smokin-It model #1
 Taking BBQ to the next level, also own the big Weber Summit

Meatball

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »
Does the number 2 run hotter then the 1, or do they max out about the same?
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
Does the number 2 run hotter then the 1, or do they max out about the same?
If you aren't running "D" models they max out at the same, approx. 250.  The "D" models can easily reach another 100 degrees. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
You will be glad you opted for the #2. I went with the #3 and am very glad I went bigger. I just wish I could have afforded the #4. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
I have a #1, and am very happy with it. It has been perfect for my needs, and is a size that fits well in the space in which I use and store it. I never even considered the #2, and I have since never wished I had gotten a larger one. That being said... I think the fact that you are even considering the #2, then you should definitely get the larger #2, or you will always wish you had.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
Hi Bobby, and Welcome to the party! 8)

This is the "age old" question, around here!!  I started out with a #1, and almost immediately regretted not going larger.  While it's great for a single pork butt, 3 racks of ribs, or a brisket (cut in half), it left me longer for more!  I was hesitant, at the time, because I'd never heard of SI, and didn't want to sink too much money into an "unknown!"  Had I known the quality of the smoker, I would have sprung for a #3! 

So, the #2 is a fantastic unit, and I still use mine a lot.  But, if the budget allows, you just can't go wrong with the #3!  Believe me, when you want to stretch out some full racks of ribs, or that 18+lb packer brisket, you just can't replace the depth of the #3!  You can always smoke less in a bigger smoker, but can never smoke more in a smaller one.

At least, that's my nickels-worth of 2ยข, from a guy who has owned them all (except the 4).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Meatball

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 04:13:42 AM »
Thanks for all the input...  appreciate it. This is a great site!!!!!!!!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector