Author Topic: Model 3 to 3D Conversion Thread  (Read 3227 times)

skioutwest

Model 3 to 3D Conversion Thread
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:57 AM »
Hello everyone!  After about 9 months of waiting, I finally received my Model 3 to 3D conversion kit.  I am so happy that Steve offered this option to previous owners of the Model 3.  I feel like I have a new smoker!!

I did my conversion last weekend and it went very well.  I would not recommend it unless you are comfortable doing DIY projects, and have a good drill/bit as well as a rotary tool.  The conversion took me about 1.5 hours, but I was taking my time.  There were a couple portions of the upgrade that I found challenging:

1)  The Solid State Relay was shipped separately, and was not mounted on the heatsink as the instructions stated.  Attaching it was simple, and there was a tube of thermal paste included.  I have done this plenty of times, so the lack of instructions was not a big deal to me, but this should have been more clear in the instructions.

2)  The new cord that we supplied did not include a new cord grommet, so the existing one needed to be reused.  The instructions were not very clear on how to remove the existing grommet, and I ended up nearly ruining it.  Even though it was cracked and chewed up from my prying with a screwdriver, it went back in fairly secure.....no issue.

3)  The replacement smoker probe is not specifically designed for this application, and is modified with the use of a 1" nylon spacer.  Of course, I either lost the spacer, or it was not included, but I was able to find something I had on hand as a replacement.  These replacements are two .5" ABS spacers....hopefully this ABS will have adequate heat resistance.

4)  I used a Dremel to cut out the hole for the SSR.  I went through about 8 cutting wheels to do the job....make sure you have plenty on hand!

5)  Lastly, Steve mentioned before I ordered that it is possible that some of the holes that hold on the top may need to be redrilled (FYI - The new top fits fairly well, but it is not perfect).  In my case, I need to redrill the top four holes, as they do not line up.  Drilling in stainless steel is not easy, but I was able to get this done fairly accurately.  My issue now is that these holes need to be threaded.  I tried some SS self tapping screws, but this did not work.  I just ordered some taps to see if I can thread this myself.

If you are planning on doing this conversion, feel free to reach out if you have questions.  I am curious if anyone else had to redrill some holes, and how they were able to get screws in to secure the top.

Happy smoking....

-Mark

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Model 3 to 3D Conversion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:36:34 AM »
Modifying anything can always be a challenge.  It appears you accomplished your 3D project with great success. Congratulations!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

skioutwest

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
Agreed.  I hope my post doesn't discourage people from doing it, as I said, I couldn't be happier!

I am curious how people rethreaded their new holes.  My tap set comes in a week.  I will post back to confirm how it went.

-Mark

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
Just a note on drilling through Stainless Steel. Hope this has not already been posted anywhere but if it has let it just serve as a reminder. Have a bit of oil available, WD40 can and will suffice as well. Make sure you run you drill bit at a slow speed and keep it lubed up with oil. On a power scale of 1-10, I ran my drill at about 20-30% at most. Bits will get hot but definitely do not run a full speed. Hope this helps someone in the future. Congrats on you Conversion!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

skioutwest

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I did use 3in1 oil but did run full speed and the oil started to smoke.  I did get my tapping kit, so will give this a shot this weekend.

-Mark

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
I still think that using an armor piercing round of the right caliber is the way to go.   ;D
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »
Have any pictures, Mark?  I appreciate the comments on the instructions.  The kit I received, when I wrote them, had the SSR mounted to the heat sink...wasn't aware that changed.  I also didn't include how to remove the cord grommet.

Glad it worked out!  Let us know how the tapping op goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

skioutwest

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »
I will try to post some pictures soon.  For some reason, it keeps timing out.

-Mark