Author Topic: First 3D Smoke...  (Read 4240 times)

BVAL

First 3D Smoke...
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
Well my girlfriend and I broke down after years of using a stick smoker and bought a 3D. The main reason is that we are now living on a 3rd floor apartment after I took a job transfer and we had no way to smoke the all the goods like we used to. I could not be more pleased with our 1st smoke. Four racks of ribs at 225 for 5.5 hours and 3.8 oz. of Smokinlicious hickory. I do feel there could have have been more smoke flavor and the ribs could have cooked a bit longer on our first run, but I am looking forward to trying to fine tune the process. Thanks SI for making a great product.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:00:52 AM by BVAL »
Bryan
Dallas, TX
SI Model #3D w/Cart

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: First 3D Smoke...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
Welcome Brian. Congratulations on your 3D...with the stand! I tend to like things a little smokier, so I go on the high end of the wood recommendations. But people's tastes vary quite a lot when it comes to the amount of smoke. Because these smokers require so little wood, it takes a little trial and error to dial it in like you said. If those are St. Louis spares, I find I usually end up around 7 hours at 225 with those, but ribs can vary a lot in thickness and meatiness, so I check at 6 hours. I like mine almost to the point of fall off the bone. Others might like a little more chew. You'll find a lot more consistency with your SI than you had with your stick burner, so you'll really be able to fine tune and focus more on the details, like seasonings/rubs, wood species/amount, etc. Have fun!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »
Those ribs look extra thick!  Nice pick up on those.  What's next on the list?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

drains

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »
Those ribs look great! Congratulations on then 3D. You'll get the smoke where you want it, it just takes practice. I think we all had to dial it in for our own tastes.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Sodaking27

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »
Brian,
         Congratulations on the 3D with stand. Ribs look great. It does take a little fine tuning on the correct amount of wood to use. When I first started using the electric smoker, I over smoked everything.
Don from Maryland.
Saving my pennies for a 3D

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »
Congrats, neighbor!  Are you in Dallas proper or one of the burbs?  I'm in Garland...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:01:16 AM »
Welcome Brian......I just purchased a 3D as well and have 3 smokes completed. Wish I would have purchased the cart but couldn't drop another 200. Those ribs look great! Any idea how many racks of ribs you could tackle?? I am planning on 8 baby backs in a couple of weeks. The 3D has enough space but do you think the ribs will need to be rotated?
Whats next for the smoker? FYI chicken is my favorite thus far.

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
You shouldn't need to rotate the ribs unless you are really loading the 3D up with 7-8 racks of ribs.

Just place them as high as you can in the smoker (more stable temps toward the top) and let them ride.

Most (not all) smokers seem to run a little hotter in the rear of the smoker, so I always put the larger ends of my rib racks toward the back of the smoker. If you do this, you should not need to rotate.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

ibbones

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
Welcome Bryan.  Good choice on the Smokin-it 3D.  I do not think I'll ever fill mine up but I love every smoke.
I am another who likes a "bit" more smoke taste.  I usually add an ounce or two more than the recommended amount.  But that is the fun part about playing around with the unit and figuring out what works best.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
Court, trouble happens when you lay your ribs out such that there isn't enough perimeter space for good airflow bottom to top.  Filling all the space on a rack creates a heat baffle for the rest of the smoker.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:48 PM »
Welcome, Bryan!  Great to have another neighbor! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

barelfly

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »
Welcome and congrats! You will love the 3D. It's amazing at how easy it is to cook it up! And those ribs look amazing!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

TexasSMK

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
Welcome Bryan, great first smoke. 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber