Author Topic: HELP! Model 2 Door Latch Problems  (Read 2733 times)

rkenley1

HELP! Model 2 Door Latch Problems
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »
We just finished our second cook with our new Model 2.  Beautiful looking brisket that is resting nicely.  Here's the problem...we pulled the brisket out after a 10 hour cook. I went to close the door and re-latch the dual hinges but the top latch will not stay fastened. The bottom latch stays in place but the top latch will not stay "locked" in place and pops off the fastener. We didn't do anything different from our first cook of pork butt and everything went perfect. I've looked at both latches and they both look the same.  Totally bummed out. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:42:58 PM by rkenley1 »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: HELP! Model 2 Door Latch Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
I have never heard of that problem before. Check to make sure nothing is inadvertently binding either the hinge of the latch.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

va_rider

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »
So, the spot where the latch goes into on the door is bent. That ear that the hinged piece rests in. Bend it towards the smoker a little bit, and it should grab again. Been there, done that.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
If Aaron's suggestion doesn't resolve the issue, maybe take a picture and upload to this thread.

I would also send the pic to Steve (SI owner) and see what he says.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »
Welcome to the forums!  Congrats on getting a #2 and bummer on the problem you're experiencing.  As someone else said, some pictures would definitely be helpful.  Hang in there...  you have an excellent smoker, you joined an awesome community, and my experience is that Smokin-It stands behind their products.

You might also contact Smokin-It directly if you feel it is a defect or that your smoker was damaged in shipping.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...