Author Topic: Inexpensive Splatter Mat Ideas  (Read 6940 times)

RSBackyardQ

Inexpensive Splatter Mat Ideas
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
Hey does anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive splatter mat to put under my #2? I like the one on the Smokin-it web site but I'd rather not pay $46 plus shipping. The one on the SI web site is 30"X60" which seems like it would be a good size. Just need something to protect my deck and patio that is easy to clean and store when I'm not using it.

I thought about checking at the auto parts store for a galvanized drip pan like you might put under the car. Anyone using something like that?
Ron from Colorado Springs

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Summit Platinum Gas Grill

SmokedGouda

Re: Inexpensive Splatter Mat Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:03:13 PM »
I've been using a scrap piece of plywood that I place in front of mine. It works for the most part. It's definitely not big enough and I've had a few small splatters hit the deck still, but not as much that has hit the plywood. I'm hoping it will come off with a power washer.
If it was bigger it would work well and I do want to get something bigger than I have now soon. But this does the job for now. Plywood should be pretty cheap.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »
Hey does anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive splatter mat to put under my #2?

Yeah, I've been making a bit of a mess on the stone around my smoker and have been thinking of getting a mat, too.  I was wondering if one of the clear mats that you put under a rolling chair to protect the floor would work well.  My wondered if it would get slick... it probably would, but the idea would be to clean it up regularly.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
Yeah I've been using a piece of scrap wood but it's not working very well. Still get a few drips on the cement with each smoke. I've got a brisket planned for this week. I'll have to see what I can come up with before that.

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
I've seen some at the big box home stores that looked like they would work. But I've been using part of the cardboard box the smoker came in for the first month. When it gets too nasty, I'll throw it way and move on to the next thing. Maybe cardboard again. But it would be nice to have something. I roll my smoker to a different location for smoking than storage, so looking for something that would clean up a easy and would be easy to put away when not in use.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »
Yes, Lowes had some for a much lower price. I chose some $.99 ceramic tiles and laid them under the smoker and in front of the door.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Gene

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 05:23:30 PM »
I use a mat that I got at Menards about five years ago for under $10.  It's roughly 2 1/2 X 4 feet and made of a strong no-tear fabric.  I can just fold it up when I'm done.
It works great for my #1
I found it in the aisle where they sell the wood and smokers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:25:29 PM by Gene »
Model 1
Central Illinois

Durangosmoker

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
I got a large mat at Home Depot that is meant to go under a grill. Roughly 3 ft X 4 ft, rubber backed with a bit of carpet-like fuzz on the front (not sure what that's for). Less than $20 and easy to roll up when not needed. Cleans with a spray hose, too.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »
Well this drip pan seems like it will do the job quite nicely. $12 at Walmart.

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain

curegeorg

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:31 PM »
 http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rb-rubber-multi-mat-rolled-rubber-1-4-in-thick-sold-by-the-foot?cm_vc=-10005

They cut it to length for you and it is a lot cheaper than a pre-cut mat.  They sell a thicker version too.  Seems like it cost me about $10, so it may have gone up in price.  Only aggravation was waiting for the one guy to come back from lunch who knew where it was and how to cut it.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »

What the...??  I've never seen anything like that at WalMart!  What dept is that in??  And, what is it?  That thing is HUGE!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RSBackyardQ

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »
Hey Tony, It's just a galvanized drip pan they had in the automotive section. It's 48" long by 26" wide. My model 2 fits perfect. Would probably also work well for the #3 since the #3 is just a little deeper but the same width as the #2.

Smokin-it Model 2
Weber Smokey Mountain

TexasSMK

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »

What the...??  I've never seen anything like that at WalMart!  What dept is that in??  And, what is it?  That thing is HUGE!
Looks like a transmission drip pan.  You can get them at most automotive stores.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
Hey Tony, It's just a galvanized drip pan they had in the automotive section. It's 48" long by 26" wide. My model 2 fits perfect. Would probably also work well for the #3 since the #3 is just a little deeper but the same width as the #2.

Yeah... Didn't think of that.  Seems like my Wally World usually only has the plastic ones.  Good idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

JustChillin

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »
The drip pan looks like the perfect splatter mat. I will go looking for one this week.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.