Author Topic: Where Are We From -- Google Map  (Read 17585 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Where Are We From -- Google Map
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:55:17 PM »
I decided to burn a little time and I created this Google Map that shows visually where a lot of the forum members are located.  It's clear that there is a certain part of the country that just doesn't appear to like BBQ.  :)

If you want your location added, let me know.  If you want your location removed let me know that, too.  However, if that's the case you may wish to also edit your profile and taglines as that is public to the world.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Where Are We From -- Google Map
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »
That's very cool, Larry!  And, you have too much time on your hands.... ;) ... ;D   If you chart the full 2,621 members, you might fill in some of the blanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
That's very cool, Larry!  And, you have too much time on your hands.... ;) ... ;D   If you chart the full 2,621 members, you might fill in some of the blanks!

Thanks!  Right now this is the Admins, Hero Members, and Full Members who opted to make the information available.  It looked like there were quite a few folks who registered and then disappeared.  I wouldn't mind mapping more, but I'm going to want to automate it.  I'd have to talk to the technical administrator for the forums so that we could export the data from the forum database and then I could clean it up and import it.  It's actually pretty easy to do.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
Pretty neat stuff there Larry. I wouldn't mind being thrown on the map. Also, I noticed no point on the map where all this started. Can you mark Steve's place with a star??

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Hey Larry, the Colorado location is awfully close to the People's Republic of Boulder......  :o  Since I am in Colorado Springs, you can add one there......  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
Pretty neat stuff there Larry. I wouldn't mind being thrown on the map. Also, I noticed no point on the map where all this started. Can you mark Steve's place with a star??

Done and Done... great suggestion!

LarryD

ibbones

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
That's pretty cool.  Add me as well   Zip 77904
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

prudentsmoker

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
Wichita, KS 67217
Brian from Wichita

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »
All requested changes made to this point...  thanks for participating everyone! 

LarryD

Glock_21

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »

You can move me north on the map.  Perry Oklahoma, 73077.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

SmokedGouda

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
Nice work! 08840
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

Limey

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »
Hey Larry,
Very nice work but you missed the Keys-southernmost part of the USA! Limey at 33050.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 10:50:26 PM »
Very nice work but you missed the Keys-southernmost part of the USA! Limey at 33050.

Thank you!  There's actually a story on this one...  for some reason when I put Florida Keys, FL in the search on Google Maps it drops a pin just south of where the Oklahoma pan-handle begins so I deliberately skipped it!  The zip code allowed me to properly place it.

Everyone - all requested updates made to this point.  For those of you that just listed a state (or a region of a state such as East Texas), the pin gets placed in one central location in the state.  Updating the map is super easy, so please keep them coming.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
In addition to my main location in the Hudson Valley, which you have marked, I also have a #1 at my cabin in Durango (81301).
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

barelfly

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »

have to get NM on the map! My dad isn't a member on the forum, but is new to fam with his #2 my mom got him for Christmas. so, I know there are two of us in NM!!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear