Author Topic: Model #2 Temperature Variations  (Read 3318 times)

Sartori42

Model #2 Temperature Variations
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »
I'm in the middle of my second smoke in my Model #2.  I have a ThermoWorks Smoke thermometer, with a probe in the middle of the smoker, just out of curiosity.  No probe in the baby backs, of course.  I understand the idea that the temperature will vary significantly, but it is my understanding that the temperature should average out to the setting on the temperature dial.  The baby backs are cooking at 225 degrees.  Therefore, I expect to see temps above and below the 225 degree target.  Once this smoke came up to temperature, it zoomed up to 265 degrees.  It eventually came back down, but has slowly varied between 220 degrees and 255 degrees.  The average, therefore, seems to be about 17 degrees above the dial marking.  My question to the group, for those who have observed their smoker temps...  Is that normal?  I know I can adjust the temp knowing that my smoker seems to run a bit hot.  Again, is this "par for the course"?

Thanks all.  Time to go sauce those ribs...    ;D

Steven
Steven near Chicago
Model #2 with Norman Cabinet

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Model #2 Temperature Variations
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
Steven, the box temp you are reading could be inaccurate, based on your probe placement.  I would see if what you smoke comes out at the appropriate time, for what you are doing (neither too long or too short), and go from there.  If your smoker is reading high, you can calibrate the temp knob to adjust for it:

Temperature Adjustment
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Sartori42

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 11:15:16 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for the reply.  I had a single rack of baby back ribs in for 4 hours at 225 degrees (dial setting) in the top shelf position, and the temp probe mounted to an empty shelf, using the supplied standoff, in the very middle of the smoker cabinet.  Similar to my last rack, the meat fell off the bones easily.  Certainly not underdone.  It will be a while until I can get back to cooking ribs, but I'm doing a chicken next weekend.  I would like it if the average temperature was relatively close to the setting.  I'll have the meat probe in the chicken, so things will be somewhat easier.  I just don't want things cooking faster than they should.  "Low and slow" keeps things juicy.

Thanks again,

Steven
Steven near Chicago
Model #2 with Norman Cabinet

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:26:41 PM »
Steven, a single rack, at 4 hours, seems about right.  A small mass of meat, like that, will cook faster than 2 or 3 racks.  Sounds like your controller is doing the job.  As for the chicken, I do poultry at 250, so set that sucker to wide open!  Low and slow doesn't apply to poultry...no fat, and cooking longer at low temp will not make it more tender or juicy.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:01:06 PM »
I did this on my first smoke.  I took the advice of the friend who persuaded to buy this smoker in the first place as well as that of a few forum members.  That advice:  Don't measure/monitor the box temp.  I haven't measured it since and haven't had a problems since.  Things just got easier.  :)

Apologies if this sounds dismissive at all...  For all I know they all run 15 degrees high.  However, when the guides say to set your #2 to 225 deg, it tends to work out great regardless of what temperature it's actually doing.  Unless you get some failures, I don't know if it's worth the effort to figure it out or calibrate.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
I did this on my first smoke.  I took the advice of the friend who persuaded to buy this smoker in the first place as well as that of a few forum members.  That advice:  Don't measure/monitor the box temp.  I haven't measured it since and haven't had a problems since.  Things just got easier.  :)

Apologies if this sounds dismissive at all...  For all I know they all run 15 degrees high.  However, when the guides say to set your #2 to 225 deg, it tends to work out great regardless of what temperature it's actually doing.  Unless you get some failures, I don't know if it's worth the effort to figure it out or calibrate.

Bazinga!!  +1.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
+2. When I first got my #2, I monitored the internal box temp as well as the meat temp, and especially on long smokes monitoring the box temp became something of an obsession. My life became much less stressful once I finally stopped monitoring the box and just trusted the machine to do right for me.  So far it always has, and I am more relaxed because of it.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 01:34:58 AM »
I don't monitor box temp anymore either unless I am doing a low-temp smoke. It just works. Any temp swings with my #1 non-D do not have any negative effect on the finished product.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide