Author Topic: 3D shuts off for no reason during smoke- no rhyme or reason  (Read 6825 times)

40 caliber

Re: 3D shuts off for no reason during smoke- no rhyme or reason
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 05:32:17 AM »
I left steve an email and never heard from him over a month ago. I need to get back to this,. i spent most of March travelling for business and have not had a chance to come back to this.
the few times i have been able to smoke, it has been manual with another temp guage. sorta like having a 3 vs 3D.

I hope to get around to tearing it apart shortly. 
what's the best way to get hold of steve?
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
I would call. He has always answered my calls or returned a call if really busy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

dibiase

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
I have had this happen to me as well lately.  I will have the 1st setting set to go at 225 until probe temp hit 190 then the second setting is to hold at 140.  It's like the probe freaks out and the program jumps to step 2.  I can wiggle the probe a little bit and see the temp on the gauge jump all over the place.  I got luck and caught it the first time it happened so I didn't lose the meat.  Since them I haven't been using temperature and have only been using time.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »
Tom, Chris, - Give Steve a call (260)417-9951.  The jack needs to be tight and should be easy to tighten.  Tony posted how to install an upgrade kit on page 1 of this section (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4444.0) so that folks opening up the controller know what is going on. Also, probes are not water proof and need to be dry as does the jack. Have you looked for any dust or dead bug parts inside the jack?  Moisture inside the jack?   A hair dryer should take care of any moisture issues with the jack and as for the probe, the hair dryer or just setting it in the sun should dry it out if it has a moisture issue.  Removing the cover allows you to check for and correct a loose connection inside at the jack/board. If none of this works, call Steve.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

dibiase

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »
Good call Sarge.  I checked the plug and it was just a little bit loose.  I tightened it up and smoked some Canadian bacon this weekend without any issues.  I even tried wiggling the plug around and it didn't freak out anymore.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
Good to hear.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

welloffman

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »
Hello,
I have had my smoke ended a couple of times before, but got the error message indicating the ambient temp exceeded the preset perimeters. Don't know how that happened, but resetting the perimeters solved the problem.