Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 6584 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Finally!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Court, they're all right!  Could have been a bad butt (it happens), so try again!  I've pulled butts at 188-190 that were fantastic, but it depends on what RG says...how does it feel?  Once it gets through the stall, and is climbing steadily, 188 is possible.  But, I've had many butts go into a "secondary" stall in the 180s.  As for fat caps, I don't leave much of one on my butts.  There is enough internal fat that they come out great - assuming good quality meat!

If you have a Sam's near you, check them out.  Costco only sells boneless butts, which I personally don't like.  You also want to make sure your cut is a bone-in Boston butt, not a picnic shoulder; totally different cut, that certainly would be dry at 188.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 12:51:29 AM »
Tony,
Thanks to you I know better to buy a picnic. I just realized I have an addiction to buying meat on sale all of a sudden. Pork butt .99/lbs so I couldn't resist and bought a couple. We love pulled pork so I will have a chance to redeem myself.
Also, my sis in law just brought us 25 lbs of venison from Michigan today. Need to get schooled in Jerky. My freezer is at capacity due to my addiction and the venison.
Last Saturday I used your Poultry brine and smoked 2 whole chicks. Everyone said it was the best Chicken they have ever tasted. Thanks for all your help
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 12:56:07 AM »
Sorry if I missed it in the posts...  did you have water next to the firebox?  Did you put it as high in the smoker as it could go?  Did you brine?/quote]

Hi Larry, I put some of my home brew next to the smoke box, placed the butt as high as I could, and brined 12 hours with Tony's recipe.

Guess I'm gonna have to smoke some more butt to improve....darn

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 12:57:05 AM »
I did that quote wrong sorry
Court
Phoenix, AZ

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 01:00:53 AM »
Jason "RG" Thanks for your constructive reply. All suggestions noted
Court
Phoenix, AZ

RG

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 02:06:00 AM »
Jason "RG" Thanks for your constructive reply. All suggestions noted

No problem at all. I don't post much but when I do I try to make it somewhat useful, lol! Good luck with the next one, I'm sure it'll be good eats!
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 09:30:38 PM »
Tony,
Thanks to you I know better to buy a picnic. I just realized I have an addiction to buying meat on sale all of a sudden. Pork butt .99/lbs so I couldn't resist and bought a couple. We love pulled pork so I will have a chance to redeem myself.
Also, my sis in law just brought us 25 lbs of venison from Michigan today. Need to get schooled in Jerky. My freezer is at capacity due to my addiction and the venison.
Last Saturday I used your Poultry brine and smoked 2 whole chicks. Everyone said it was the best Chicken they have ever tasted. Thanks for all your help

Venison jerky is so good!  I use my regular equilibrium brine jerky method with deer, when I can get my hands on it!  I don't hunt anymore, but sure enjoy freebies, when my buddies give me some...of course, I split the batch with them!

Thank you, for the complement on the poultry brine!  Glad you liked it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
Pork Butts ::), welcome Court!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber