Author Topic: Door sticking - advice please  (Read 2504 times)

pax238

Door sticking - advice please
« on: December 19, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
I've noticed that, particularly as the outside temperature goes down (and I do more cold smoked salmon), the door on my #1 gets stuck (and I mean STUCK). I've looked at different posts and see that it seems that a few people have had the same issue. Solutions that people talk about are running the smoker at 100+ degrees for 20-30 minutes (not really viable if I want to cold smoke), and using cooking spray around the edges.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to just do a really good cleaning of the areas where the door makes contact with the box and, if so, what I should use to clean it.
Barry from CT
A little bit less of a complete newbie with a #1

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Door sticking - advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
My guess is that it is the sugars from your brine/rub that is causing the door to stick.

My guess is that a bucket of warm water and a brush/wash cloth would help remove some of the sticky goo that can build up on your door seal.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:26:33 PM »
Barry, are you foiling the bottom of the smoker, so the juices won't overflow through the bottom of the door?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pax238

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
Barry, are you foiling the bottom of the smoker, so the juices won't overflow through the bottom of the door?

I am, Tony, and the salmon, which is all I smoke - hot and cold (I know... sacrilege) doesn't seem to kick off that much at all, according to what I'm finding in the drip tray.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:03:16 PM by pax238 »
Barry from CT

pax238

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 10:06:34 PM »
My guess is that it is the sugars from your brine/rub that is causing the door to stick.

My guess is that a bucket of warm water and a brush/wash cloth would help remove some of the sticky goo that can build up on your door seal.

Thanks Gregg.
Barry from CT