Author Topic: Wood blocks catching fire  (Read 7599 times)

Apg36820

Wood blocks catching fire
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »
I am having trouble with my wood blocks catching on fire and the smoke turning to that bad Greyson white. Any suggestions?
Andrew
Life is to short to eat bad food
Webber silver kettle grill
Smokin it model 1

Durangosmoker

Re: Wood blocks catching fire
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 06:34:48 PM »
Have you tried covering the bottom of the wood blocks with foil? Also, where did you get your wood?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Apg36820

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:45:16 PM »
The wood blocks came directly from smokin it.  I have a feeling the wood is to dry which makes it easier to ignite. I haven't tried wrapping the blocks in foil.
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
Just wrap the bottom half of the block in foil. Should help prevent combustion.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »
+ 1

Open foil (top left open) and bottom the wood with foil.   

I do with all smokes.

You can even add "chips" that way to get things rolling quicker.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Apg36820

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 09:15:23 PM »
Is it happening because the wood is to dry?
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:03:38 AM »
Yes, dry wood catches fire when the SI gets to about 180F.   When I had this issue, the wood would combust in the first heating cycle.  After that, the wood would smoke normally.   I have been using wood from smokinlicious.com and have not had problems with combustion.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Apg36820

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »
I think that is the problem. Mine was all combusting at the start of the smoke. I'm gonna buy some different chunks and try them.
Andrew
Smokin it model 1

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
I think that is the problem. Mine was all combusting at the start of the smoke. I'm gonna buy some different chunks and try them.

Try ordering smokinlicious double filet, the one with 3 varieties of your choice. You will be very very happy.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
I have never been a wood foiler.

I prefer to ramp-up the temperature. So, I run at 150 for two heat cycles, which is usually around 45 minutes or so give/take. After I see the second temp decline go down about 5 degrees or so, it turn it up to my final smoking temp.

I don't always watch the heat cycles that closely since I have found that 45 minutes pretty much always works.

To understand why this works, it is important to understand why we sometimes get combustion. This happens by a combination of dry wood and the constant always on element pumping away until the smoker hits its set temperature. So, this is just pounding away full heat on the wood for 15-30 minutes or so depending on what temp you are smoking at.

The reason the ramp-up works is that just as the wood starts to get to the point that it will combust, the element shuts off and gives the wood a break from that constant on element. Then, when the element turns on again the wood has already had some heat and isn't as affected by the new heat cycle.

The foiling works in a similar way in that it prevents the full blast of the element from affecting the wood even though it doesn't give it a break until after it hits the desired temp.

I think both methods are pretty effective. I just can't bring myself to foil my wood. I don't know why.

If you still have trouble with combustion when using either of these methods, try combining them and immediately go to your computer or phone and call Smokinlicious to order some double fillet.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Gregg, "D" or Auber units also operate differently enough from a analog unit that they have even another factor going on.  Those units start shutting off the element 30 to 40 degrees before the set temperature is reached and start pulsing heat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »
Gregg, "D" or Auber units also operate differently enough from a analog unit that they have even another factor going on.  Those units start shutting off the element 30 to 40 degrees before the set temperature is reached and start pulsing heat.

Good point Dave. I kind of forgot to factor in the possible differences between the Analog and Auber setups.

They start pulsing at 30-40 degrees lower than the set temp huh?

I would actually think that that would be more of a positive because the pulsing would be giving breaks to the wood 30-40 degrees sooner than an analog model. This is just my theory I guess, since I only have an analog unit and am not fluent with the Auber nuances.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Tpsfoto

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 01:41:39 AM »
I usually soak my wood for about 30-60 min......that seems to work for me

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »
I have a #3 and have used wood from a moisture content of 0.00 to 0.40 moisture content and don't have the combustion issue.  I don't bother with "trying to soak wood" and also don't use foil in the firebox.   I spent a few days experimenting and designing my own small firebox insert to use inside the Smoke-It firebox.  By placing identical weight wood blocks from one end of the original firebox I found the spots where it gets the hottest and I place my insert with my wood inside it and placed on the hottest spot of the original Smote-It firebox.  I haven't had the spontaneous combustion issue since.  I did purchase some "Smokeliciious hickory and sugar maple" but I can't tell one lick of difference in using this wood compared to using other dry wood.

Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
Hi Walt - I remember you talking about your experimenting.  I would be interested in seeing your fire box; maybe others would be as well.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus