Author Topic: Bacon Virgin!  (Read 14882 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Bacon Virgin!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
Looks perfect Libo!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »
Looks awesome! Which recipe did you use again?

Earlier you said you used Karl's basica brine. I am assuming you meant Kari? If so which of her basic brine options you chose? She has one for Prague Powder #1 and one with Tender Quick on the link that she had provided.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 07:23:07 PM »
LMAO!  I've always thought it was Karl!  Sorry about that Kari!  But, yes. I used HER basic Brine with TenderQuick. I use 9.5 tablespoons of TenderQuick and Brown sugar. I didn't have a ton of maple syrup so I just used what I had at the time, which was probably about 4 tablespoons. But made up for it right before and after the smoke. My belly was 9.5lbs exactly.

Before the temp rises (after the less warm months) in Texas, I plan to stock my freezer full to get through to the next winter!  Not to mention, I think friends and family will be begging me for some of this!!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »
I don't have a slicer and have been thinking about taking some hunks to my grocery meat market and asking if they will slice it for me so that I can have uniform slices. Anyone tried that?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »
I think I would only try that if I was buying a pretty substantial amount of meat from them.

I have a cheapo $60 slicer that has been working fine for close to 10 years. I can only cut 5-6" slices, but they are nice and even and taste just as good and are the perfect size for my BLTs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
If you can get an outside source to slice it, more power to you, but I think that would be unlikely. Based on strict regulations on food safety and cleanliness, it would be unlikely that grocery stores or butcher shops would put an unknown meat from an unknown source on their slicer. I've heard of people who do this, but that would be the exception, not the norm. I have an affordable Chef's choice slicer, and it does not slice LONG slices, but it works for what I need. I just adjust the size of my slabs before smoking to fit the size of my slicer. And like Gregg says, the shorter slices are perfect for BLTs, and I've always preferred the shorter slices for almost everything else.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:59:31 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SmokedGouda

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »
If you are using the cold smoke plate, you should have a disposable aluminum pan filled with ice sitting on top of the plate, or 2 liter bottles of frozen water (ice) in a pan on top of the cold smoke plate.

Hey Kari
2 things: 1, can you use the drip pan to hold the ice or does the drip pan need to be on during the cold smoke phase? 2, the plastic bottle never melts during the cold smoke phase?
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

SconnieQ

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 06:55:03 PM »
If you are using the cold smoke plate, you should have a disposable aluminum pan filled with ice sitting on top of the plate, or 2 liter bottles of frozen water (ice) in a pan on top of the cold smoke plate.

Hey Kari
2 things: 1, can you use the drip pan to hold the ice or does the drip pan need to be on during the cold smoke phase? 2, the plastic bottle never melts during the cold smoke phase?

For the cold smoke phase, I do use the drip pan filled with ice sitting on top of the cold smoke plate. I have a #1, so it's a perfect fit. If you have a larger smoker, and you want a larger pan with higher sides, a disposable pan can be used. There will be no fat drippings to worry about during the cold smoke. When you get to the hot smoke phase of the bacon, dump the water/ice out of the drip pan, remove the cold smoke plate, and slide the drip pan underneath in it's normal position. Smoke box and floor should be covered with foil as usual. I have never used the frozen plastic bottles, but Gregg (NDKoze) does, and sounds like a great idea. The plastic should not melt if your box temp stays below 100 degrees.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:02:52 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »
To be fair, I do not have or use the SI Cold Smoke Plate. Instead, I use an A-MAZE-N smoker for my cold smoking. So, my temps rarely get higher than 100 when I cold smoke.

But, if you place the water bottles on a middle rack above the cold smoke plate, I would think it would take a fair amount over 100 before the plastic would start to melt. Otherwise, I would have a hell of a big mess in the summer when it gets close to or above 100 at the lake and I have several plastic water bottles sitting on my deck that do not fit into my cooler/fridge.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »
I'm considering taking my newest bacon out of its brine tonight, which is a day early. Anyone think that will be an issue?  I would like to try to make snack sticks this weekend also!

Also, I've had my mom complain that my last bacon was too salty. Anyone know how to make it "low sodium" for her?
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »
To remove some of the sodium, you can soak the bacon in cold water.

I would first do a fry test by cutting a slice off of one of the sides. If it is too salty, soak in cold water for an hour and then retest. keep doing this until you get the salt level that you like. I tend to find that the salt evens out a little after smoking/resting. So don't soak too much of the sodium out of there.

When you do your fry test, you should be able to see if the cure has penetrated to the middle of your bacon or not. Assuming that it has, there shouldn't be a problem pulling early.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 11:02:07 PM »
Now wouldn't this be nice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291992933966

The Woodlands, Texas

GoodForTheSport

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »
do you think the pink salt is 100% necessary?

Thanks, Ray

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
Well, I guess if you don't want to kill those eating it. I certainly wouldn't try bacon without the required brine.
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
Also...the pink salt (cure) is what makes bacon taste like bacon. Without the cure, it would taste like smoked pork belly, which tastes great, but tastes nothing like bacon. If you don't use the pink salt, then you need to use a completely different method for safety reasons. And it won't be "bacon" in my book.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide